Blunkett - Sell house to pay for your elderly care

You'll be saying if you want to murder someone go to the next town the laws are different there.

MDB tinny

God you're clueless. It's like trying to have a argument with soup. It's about demographics, land costs etc etc etc.

But I'll bite. Which council should the government work out its care plan on ? Eastbourne? Tower hamlets? Carlisle? Sheffield? Rotherham? Salford? Devon? Any of those wildly different places with wildly different needs or should we just slap a nice red "one size fits all" on it.

---------- Post added 09-02-2015 at 18:48 ----------

You'll be saying if you want to murder someone go to the next town the laws are different there.

MDB tinny

---------- Post added 09-02-2015 at 18:43 ----------

Didn't take much in did you.

I'm out. I can look in the mirror and know we did the very best we could.

I'm very pleased this forum is anonymous because for you to question what I did and didn't know or did and didn't do wouldnt do either of us any good at all.

God you're clueless. It's like trying to have a argument with soup. It's about demographics, land costs etc etc etc.

But I'll bite. Which council should the government work out its care plan on ? Eastbourne? Tower hamlets? Carlisle? Sheffield? Rotherham? Salford? Devon? Any of those wildly different places with wildly different needs or should we just slap a nice red "one size fits all" on it.

---------- Post added 09-02-2015 at 18:48 ----------

I'm out. I can look in the mirror and know we did the very best we could.

I'm very pleased this forum is anonymous because for you to question what I did and didn't know or did and didn't do wouldnt do either of us any good at all.

Finally flipped, I know you missed your medication.

Finally flipped, I know you missed your medication.

Yes, I've finally snapped at talking to moron who is not only thick as **** and wouldn't know a fact if he tripped over one, will fully ignorant of any facts presented to him but is a spiteful sod.

What we've both written on here is there to be read by all. I'll let the readers judge. But I hope it stays up.

Any idea how many carers, cleaners and nurses a 30 room care home does have? On average?

As few as they can possibly get away with.

Or to put it another way, not enough.

Incidently, the care home a relative of mine is in, made a big thing of its 'activities' in its glossy brochure, but ever since she's been there, (4 months) there have been no activities at all. When I asked about it, I was told the Activities Co ordinator was 'Off sick.'

Incidently, the care home a relative of mine is in, made a big thing of its 'activities' in its glossy brochure, but ever since she's been there, (4 months) there have been no activities at all. When I asked about it, I was told the Activities Co ordinator was 'Off sick.'

According to what I've just heard on 5live, 1 in 5 aren't up to snuff in one way or another, and CQC need to have tougher, far more wide ranging powers. Care homes used to be rated, why they stopped that I don't know. The upside, and I use the term very loosely, is that if you or your relative aren't happy, they can be moved.

It sounds like the managers of the home aren't very good where your relative is - that said my dad pointedly ignored all activities offered so it might not be the be all and end all for your relative even if it is for you (I think we see it in our eyes sometimes rather than theirs). But if they aren't happy and you aren't happy, move them if you can. Was it your/their first choice? We ended up somewhere less than perfect because they wanted him out of hospital.

Regardless of assets everyone should be entitled to the same basic level of care, free at point of delivery. If you want more than the basic level then you pay for it.

If not already then the elderly care industry should be regulated such that the basic level of care is provided for a set cost and all basic standards of care are met.

The basic care should be funded from general taxation, if this needs to be increased to cover the cost then so be it.

jb

I'd happily see a little tax rise if it ensured a decent basic level of care for all elderly.

Make an official complaint.

Capitalism is a very poor method of operating, until you compare it with the alternatives.

Wherever possible competition should be encouraged, it improves service, it encourages innovation, and it drives businesses forward.

It is not however the complete answer to everything, somethings should be protected against market forces.

Those things are few and far between, wherever possible market forces should prevail, where people have a choice they should be allowed to make it.

I believe that the least possible government interference in business is desirable, most politicians couldn't run a whelk stall.

The exceptions are essentials, when people, especially vulnerable people, have no choice, then some form of protection should be in place.

The power supply in this country should never have been handed over to foreign ownership, it should have remained nationalized as an absolute essential.

Rail services should never have been privatised, how can you ensure genuine competition?

The NHS is something this country can take justifiable pride in, and whilst it needs wholesale reorganization - way too many chiefs and not enough Indians - it is still a matter of pride to the country.

Care for the elderly falls into that category, it is not, or at least should not, be a subject for 'market forces' we are talking about people who have worked their whole lives, paid their taxes, and contributed to the countries wealth, despite our current problems we are still a wealthy country and the elderly helped us get there.

Companies are making profit from care homes, why can't the government provide them and try to break even?

Some things are not conducted for profit they are supplied as a service.

The care of the elderly at the end of their lives should come under that category.