Blunkett - Sell house to pay for your elderly care

Have you got a caravan @ Skeggy then :D

No, but after this thread I'm thinking about it :D

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 14:14 ----------

But they didnt waste it, the spent it "enjoying themselves" and helped the economy grow, the same as others who rent. .

According to poppet2 a mortgage is cheaper than renting so, using your logic, those with a mortgage would have helped the economy grow even more..

Tell you what convert..I'm going to have some great holidays when I retire, sell my house and cash in my pension..the council can look after me when I get back :D

Yes, you do that, then see what happens. Do you think the government isn't wise to the likes of this?:roll:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2466361/Councils-spy-parents-sign-house-children-Blitz-families-avoid-care-home-fees.html

Surely those paying mortgages are also helping the economy to grow?

Initially yes by helping construction companies but most of the mortgage money goes to banks and shareholders via the interest on the loan. Dont forget that a lot of new mortgages are using the Help to Buy scheme which is being subsidised by the tax payer to the tune of £billions.

Read my post #9..I mean the people who had money but rented a council house and spent the rest on holidays and beer..they had the cash but chose to "waste" it..why should they get their care paid for but those that decided to buy a house not?

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 13:20 ----------

See my post #9...the same thing..

So, free social care for everyone? Considering we are well on course for a alzheimers time bomb and an ever expanding elderly population, get ready for some very very very big tax rises.

Or those that can should help themselves. Frankly anyone who chooses to throw themselves at the state for help when they dont need to is a nut.

So, free social care for everyone? Considering we are well on course for a alzheimers time bomb and an ever expanding elderly population, get ready for some very very very big tax rises.

Or those that can should help themselves. Frankly anyone who chooses to throw themselves at the state for help when they dont need to is a nut.

With post #9 I was trying to show the inequality of the system..those that are prudent are punished,those that spend it all are rewarded.. there ought to be some middle way..

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 14:31 ----------

Initially yes by helping construction companies but most of the mortgage money goes to banks and shareholders via the interest on the loan. Dont forget that a lot of new mortgages are using the Help to Buy scheme which is being subsidised by the tax payer to the tune of £billions.

So people with a mortgage don't buy anything or use services (decorators/plumbers etc) once the house is built?

With post #9 I was trying to show the inequality of the system..those that are prudent are punished,those that spend it all are rewarded.. there ought to be some middle way.

Are you saying in hindsight, you wish you never bought your property, because of the care home situation?

Are you saying in hindsight, you wish you never bought your property, because of the care home situation?

Where do you get that from? Are you saying that people who have earned lots of money throughout their life and had the opportunity to save but didn't should get state help?

It seems Poppet has no grasp of what it is like to save, accrue and pass something onto your kids.

Essentially, the government is funding lavish spending by the couldn't-care-lesser in their early years by paying it back many years later through aged care. For those being prudent early on, the government funds them nothing - no lavish lifestyle enjoyed, no care provided.

Would you consider housing benefit to be a subsidy? Also funded by the tax payer?