Blunkett - Sell house to pay for your elderly care

Because a care home isn't a hospital. It's a care home. It comes under the umbrella of social care and very much not the Nhs.

And why shouldn't granny sell her home? She's not living in it, she gone into care.

Cradle to grave was the promise.

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 15:29 ----------

Because a care home isn't a hospital. It's a care home. It comes under the umbrella of social care and very much not the Nhs.

And why shouldn't granny sell her home? She's not living in it, she gone into care.

Granny should have sold her house and disposed of the money just as my later father-in-law did.

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 15:37 ----------

As with all benefits, it is there for the have-nots. The have's can look after themselves. Isn't that the idea of means tested benefits?

Yes the ne're do wells and those on low income.

My late Father-in-law who worked all of his adult life and served throughout WWII sold his house and disposed of the proceeds shortly before he died therefore my late Mother-in-law lived in a care home for free.

Edited by Dark Night

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 15:29 ----------

Granny should have sold her house and disposed of the money just as my later father-in-law did.

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 15:37 ----------

Yes the ne're do wells and those on low income.

My late Father-in-law who worked all of his adult life and served throughout WWII sold his house and disposed of the proceeds shortly before he died therefore my late Mother-in-law lived in a care home for free.

Based on your cradle to the grave thing then we should have big blocks of flats available for free for everyone. Care homes are not and have never been part of the Nhs remit. Just typing cradle to the grave repeatedly doesn't make it part of the Nhs.

So who does foot the bill for elderly care if they have no means, no assets??

I'm assuming the answer is the tax payer.

I'm a tax payer, I'm funding for someone's care right now??

When I require care is it unreasonable to ask the tax payers of the day to fund it???

So who does foot the bill for elderly care if they have no means, no assets??

I'm assuming the answer is the tax payer.

I'm a tax payer, I'm funding for someone's care right now??

When I require care is it unreasonable to ask the tax payers of the day to fund it???

You'll be a tax payer paying a lot more tax, in the mean time granny's reletives can have a high old time on the proceeds of the house. Or she could use her assert (anything from £100k to over a million) to get a nicer care home than what ever the state choose to stick her in.

So when people die or get old they should hand everything to the state??

Doesn't seem very encouraging to actually try hard in life then.

Sit on your arse and let the state provide, why bother??

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 17:31 ----------

If things are going to be like that then the only thing thats worth doing is running up a mountain of debt.

After all: You can't take it with you

Is there some fundamental misunderstanding? Any assistance by the state should be given according to need. It is not about what anyone feels they deserve, or what they think someone less deserving than them is getting. My aim is not to need benefits, but I do not judge anyone for getting assistance. Very few of us can be absolutely certain that we will never end up in need ourselves. Just be glad that you can support yourselves while you can. Tax is not an investment in my personal future, it is my contribution to living in this country.

I'm sure Mr Blunkett would find that a sound notion.

"Why should the children get the equivalent of a lottery win?" was his question.

Number one, it's not a lottery win. A lottery win is a result of chance. Buying a house and wanting to leave it to your kids is an entirely natural thing and not a result of chance at all, it's the result of going out working and paying for the house.

Number two, what right does Comrade Blunkett have to come along and say "Right, we're having that house"? No right.

It's coming to the point where the state has to admit that "Cradle to grave" care so often promised, is a lie and the taxes extracted from working people on the basis of cradle to grave care have been taken under false pretences.

Doesn't seem very encouraging to actually try hard in life then.

Sit on your arse and let the state provide, why bother??

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 17:31 ----------

If things are going to be like that then the only thing thats worth doing is running up a mountain of debt.

After all: You can't take it with you

Who is giving everything to the state? You are buying a service (which are mostly private operations anyway). The state will get you the minimum. If I'm, God forbid, in a care home for 5 or 10 years (or more) I'm not taking a drop in my living standards.

Visit a few. Visit some ones that state will pay for and some the state can't afford to pay for. I know you'll start saving when you do!!

That or walk in front of a bus.....

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 17:55 ----------

I'm sure Mr Blunkett would find that a sound notion.

"Why should the children get the equivalent of a lottery win?" was his question.

Number one, it's not a lottery win. A lottery win is a result of chance. Buying a house and wanting to leave it to your kids is an entirely natural thing and not a result of chance at all, it's the result of going out working and paying for the house.

Number two, what right does Comrade Blunkett have to come along and say "Right, we're having that house"? No right.

It's coming to the point where the state has to admit that "Cradle to grave" care so often promised, is a lie and the taxes extracted from working people on the basis of cradle to grave care have been taken under false pretences.

Again (third time), in caps for the hard of thinking.

CARE HOMES ARE NOT AND NEVER HAVE BEEN UNDER THE REMIT OF THE NHS.

If you are ill and need medical care you will be treated on the Nhs at any age. That said you really don't want to be in a hospital if you are old.

Read my post #9..I mean the people who had money but rented a council house and spent the rest on holidays and beer..they had the cash but chose to "waste" it..why should they get their care paid for but those that decided to buy a house not?

---------- Post added 06-02-2015 at 13:20 ----------

See my post #9...the same thing..

I wouldn't say they peed their money up the wall. They spent the money and contributed towards keeping other people in business. Whereas squirreling your money away all your life just feeds the greedy bankers.