Shops at Sheff Lane Top

lakerman

I have a picture of Sheffield Lane top which I am trying to identify the year. There are two shops on the photo. The first one is of the old Co-op ( which was there for quite a few years) next door is a shop with the name M.JOHNSTON over the door. I don't know what this shop sold but can anyone enlighten me as to when it could have been? ( this shop is now an electronic ciggy shop). Not a lot to go on but someone might know.

Could have been, also next to the co-op was a shop that sold clothes and knitting wool Mrs Knight owned it, can't remember what others were but the co-op was not the e cig place it was the shop to the left which is a grocery. It was a cycle shop after the co-op and then went back to being co-op. Just googled it and it came up with 'Ma' Johnsons newsagents

Edited by denlin

Ma Johnstons Newsagent would fit , but still would like to know what period it was. I have guessed late fifties looking at the clothes people are wearing on the photo. Sorry I can't put the photo on for people to see. Does anyone know what years the newsagent was there?

Hi lakerman - "G. & M. Johnston, confectioner" is shown at 830 Barnsley Road in the directories I have from 1957 to 1971 (not listed in 1972), but they are shown at 824/826 Barnsley Road in the directories of 1951 and 1954. So if the building in the photo looks like 824/826 (next door to the Pheasant Inn) then this perhaps dates the photo a little earlier.