Do you remember these football clubs?

Sue's

Does anyone remember these two local Amatuer Football Clubs

from the 1950's

Lowshire Amatuers were based at Shiregreen. They won the 'Green-un' Merit Ball for their 2-1 win against unbeaten Lundwood WMC in the semi-final of the Junior Cup. reg Ellis scored both goals, and Harry kelk deserveed special praise for giving one of the finest displays by a goal keeper ever seen in junior football.

The other football club I am interested in are 'Red Rose' of Ecclesfield. Albert Leek was one of the players, position unknown.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I remember Chester Lowe very well. When he was a boy, in the 1940s, he lived in Danville Street (their house was at the back of No 58, can't remember the Cout Number), and he and a lad called Terry Webster played football together. I was a bit older than Chester, but me and a lad called James Elmore sometimes used to kick a ball about with Chester in their yard. I think Terry Webster got onto United's books, but then had an accident which ended his hopes of a career in football; but while Chester played in local football and was always highly regarded, for some reason he never got into the professional game. I suspect he could have made the grade if he'd been given the chance.

By the way, I can remember seeing Chester's dad playing the The Star pub team on Danville Rec...and that's an awful long time ago!

Archived