What is your personal space?

Funily enough what went through my mind was

A. Why did he pick this seat when there were hundreds available.........Because I was a young female.

B. I need to be out of here fast

C. He's just sat down with a full breakfast. I've a 10 minute start if I go now.

D. If he follows me and leaves his breakfast I have a stalker and need to head for customer services.

I think unless you are female and have experienced something similar you just don't appreciate the situation.

Would the situation have been different if a FEMALE had come and sat with you?

What would you have done then?

So lets get this straight...you think it's perfectly socially acceptable to plonk yourself next to a young woman, in an eating establishment, which has dozens of empty tables?

How would you feel if you were in a restaurant and some random person came and plonked themselves at your table without even a 'by your leave'...Male or female, it doesn't matter. The OP was right to feel uncomfortable.

Not everyone has well developed social etiquette. Maybe he was lonely or mentally disabled? theres plenty of people like this around town.

The guy obviously wasn't a stalker because he didnt follow the OP.

---------- Post added 10-02-2015 at 13:06 ----------

Would the situation have been different if a FEMALE had come and sat with you?

What would you have done then?

Good point!

1) a man sits down and speaks to you like long lost friend.

2) A woman of same age sits down and speaks to you like long lost friend.

Number 1 is a stalker / rapist / paedo. Number 2 is just being friendly.

Its all a matter of perception rather than reality.

Not everyone has well developed social etiquette. Maybe he was lonely or mentally disabled? theres plenty of people like this around town.

The guy obviously wasn't a stalker because he didnt follow the OP.

So you agree, under normal circumstances, it's not socially acceptable. The OP can't be expected to 'know' if he was mentally impaired or lonely, or a mad axe murderer, all she knew was that it made her feel uncomfortable..For whatever reason.

Look not every bloke is a rapist believe it or not. Maybe he wanted to make friends or was just lonely. Was he menacing in anyway? did he threaten you?

If he was just being friendly then your being paranoid and should probably grow up a bit.

---------- Post added 10-02-2015 at 12:50 ----------

You don't know that.

If some random guy just came and sat next to me whilst I was eating and there were loads of other empty tables I'd certainly think he was a creep/weirdo/pervert... no danger!

So you agree, under normal circumstances, it's not socially acceptable. The OP can't be expected to 'know' if he was mentally impaired or lonely, or a mad axe murderer, all she knew was that it made her feel uncomfortable..For whatever reason.

Then all she has to do is politely say 'nice speaking to you' and leave. Branding people this, that and the other when nothings happened is paranoia.

---------- Post added 10-02-2015 at 13:19 ----------

If some random guy just came and sat next to me whilst I was eating and there were loads of other empty tables I'd certainly think he was a creep/weirdo/pervert... no danger!

Then that's your prejudice against men, clearly. What if a women acted in exactly the same way?

Then all she has to do is politely say 'nice speaking to you' and leave. Branding people this, that and the other when nothings happened is paranoia.

Are you a woman?

Then that's your prejudice against men, clearly. What if a women acted in exactly the same way?

I'd tell the b**** to move

Ok...Lets turn it around the other way.....Let's say for instance...the OP was sat minding her own business, some random bloke plonks himself at her table and starts chatting like they were long lost friends....She happily chats back....

Only to be assaulted by him later.

Would people on here be saying she was right to engage in conversation? Would people say it was her own fault for being sociable?

They would be frothing and saying what on earth possessed you to engage with a total stranger...Etc...etc....

As I said earlier in the thread, had it been me, I would have at least asked if she minded if I sat at the table to eat....

Ok...Lets turn it around the other way.....Let's say for instance...the OP was sat minding her own business, some random bloke plonks himself at her table and starts chatting like they were long lost friends....She happily chats back....

Only to be assaulted by him later.

Would people on here be saying she was right to engage in conversation? Would people say it was her own fault for being sociable?

They would be frothing and saying what on earth possessed you to engage with a total stranger...Etc...etc....

As I said earlier in the thread, had it been me, I would have at least asked if she minded if I sat at the table to eat....

But she wasn't assaulted by him later. Its like saying you may aswell never talk to anyone because something bad could happen further down the line.

---------- Post added 10-02-2015 at 13:26 ----------

Don't bother... You are obviously male and have no idea what it is like!

You just said you'd verbally abuse a woman too!