Teenager 'planned to behead soldier'

A teenager was arrested as he made his way to behead a British soldier, the Old Bailey has heard.

Brusthom Ziamani, 19, was carrying a rucksack containing a 12-inch knife and a hammer, when he was arrested on a street in east London in August 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31305813

He wrote on social media: "Because I have no means ov gettin there I will wage war against the british government on this soil the british government will have a taste of there own medicine they will be humiliated this is ISIB Islamic State of Ireland and Britain.

Perhaps the RAF can parachute him into Syria on their next sortie....odds on his bowels would explode before his chute opened!!!:)

Important aspect here is that he 'recently converted', which goes to show that idiots like this (he doesn't come across as the brightest, so I feel the use of idiot is warranted), are abusing the banner of being islamic just so they can cause trouble.

Makes you wonder if we are educating our kids well enough about what religion is and what it means.

Only if this kid is one of a multitude of others...which I doubt.

True, I agree it is clear he is at one end of the spectrum. Still, even though I am not religious there is plenty to learn about each other by studying religion, don't you think?

True, I agree it is clear he is at one end of the spectrum. Still, even though I am not religious there is plenty to learn about each other by studying religion, don't you think?

If religion defines you then I guess there's plenty to learn. Personally I just see it as a subject matter. Then again I do like a good religious epic..as long as it has lions, gladiators and parting seas n stuff.

Did you pay much attention in RE? Did anyone?

I did, but only because it was the closest thing to sociology we were taught in school and even then I was a closet sociologist.

I see your point, and having said the above, perhaps it shouldn't be religious education but sociology in a broad context instead and teach about tolerance.

If religion defines you then I guess there's plenty to learn. Personally I just see it as a subject matter. Then again I do like a good religious epic..as long as it has lions, gladiators and parting seas n stuff.

Agreed!

I did, but only because it was the closest thing to sociology we were taught in school and even then I was a closet sociologist.

I see your point, and having said the above, perhaps it shouldn't be religious education but sociology in a broad context instead and teach about tolerance.

Agreed!

No we had a very weak history teacher who happened to be a Christian. Poor bloke never stood a chance;)

To we teach about tolerence and social responsibility and kick religion into touch completely?