Arghh, decorating tips, the wall / ceiling line..

Buy a fairly fine artists brush. Paint the ceiling and walls, but don't try to paint the top few mm of wall. Then, very patiently fill in, using the fine brush. Works at the bottom too :)

Expert cutting-in is a skill which most home DIYers find very difficult.

Practice makes perfect, (and I'm talking about several years of practice!) but the golden rules are:

1. Always cut in from below, not above

2. Don't use masking tape

3. Get as high as you can on a ladder so that ideally, your eyes are level with the cutting in line. (Obviously if it is ceiling/wall with no coving, that will be impossible, but get as close as you can to the level).

4. Keeping a steady arm, and moving your 3" angled brush sideways from left to right (assuming you're right handed) with the brush nearly parallel to the ceiling.

5. When it's dry, do it again. One coat isn't enough and will look patchy, even if you have a perfect cutting-in line.

Good luck!

Expert cutting-in is a skill which most home DIYers find very difficult.

Practice makes perfect, (and I'm talking about several years of practice!) but the golden rules are:

1. Always cut in from below, not above

2. Don't use masking tape

3. Get as high as you can on a ladder so that ideally, your eyes are level with the cutting in line. (Obviously if it is ceiling/wall with no coving, that will be impossible, but get as close as you can to the level).

4. Keeping a steady arm, and moving your 3" angled brush sideways from left to right (assuming you're right handed) with the brush nearly parallel to the ceiling.

5. When it's dry, do it again. One coat isn't enough and will look patchy, even if you have a perfect cutting-in line.

Good luck!

I might not agree with you about the 12x table, but I agree with you about that :)

If the OP is struggling with the ceiling, I would suggest avoiding having two walls different colours that meet in a corner; cutting in is easier horizontal than vertical!

Depending on how good the walls are, you sometimes find (in older houses especially) that the line between wall and ceiling isn't dead straight anyway.

Just take your time over it, in the same way trying to gloss anything quick ends up a mess.

I use a standard 25ml brush for cutting in. Watching the pro decorators at work, they use an even bigger brush. The key IMHO is to use a good brush with long bristles that aren't flailing from the sides, plenty of paint and don't go too slow.

This is what I use:

http://www.wilko.com/paint-brushes+rollers/wilko-best-brush-1in/invt/0343178

• 4 months later...