What is Trolling

What do you mean?

On one forum I used to frequent it was the same small group of members using those tactics with impunity, if someone challenged their opinions the intimidation would start, your link appears to have been followed to the letter, and if anyone stood their ground and refused to be intimidated into silence they would suddenly disappear from the forum, after reading your link I would say that rule 24 was invoked.

24. Silence critics. If the above methods do not prevail, consider removing opponents from circulation by some definitive solution so that the need to address issues is removed entirely.

And that can only be invoked by the people in control of the forum.

So not someone who gets involved in a debate and points out the inaccuracies in someones argument or counters an opinion with their own opinion.

I like this headline.

CTV Confirms Governments employing Internet Trolls, Shills & PR Agents to 'correct misinformation'

That would mean a troll is someone posting accurate information to correct inaccurate information, and that doesn't really fit the common definition of a troll.

On one forum I used to frequent it was the same small group of members using those tactics with impunity, if someone challenged their opinions the intimidation would start, your link appears to have been followed to the letter, and if anyone stood their ground and refused to be intimidated into silence they would suddenly disappear from the forum, after reading your link I would say that rule 24 was invoked.

24. Silence critics. If the above methods do not prevail, consider removing opponents from circulation by some definitive solution so that the need to address issues is removed entirely.

And that can only be invoked by the people in control of the forum.

:hihi:. You mean on all forums smithy?

I notice Cyclone has gone back and edited his post adding this quote from the guardian article which I did not address previously because he did not mention it.

Is this your Technique number 3 - lie.

I didn't edit anything. If I did it would quite clearly show that the post had been edited.

Is this your Technique number 3 - lie.

I didn't edit anything. If I did it would quite clearly show that the post had been edited.

Appears I may have been mistaken. My apologies Cyclone.

---------- Post added 23-03-2015 at 12:53 ----------

:hihi:. You mean on all forums smithy?

Who's smithy?

Wow .... the government is employing loads of people to try to influence the handful of people who post on SF - a forum that has little or no influence on anything :cool:

I must admit that on first reading it might seem strange that anyone would worry about anything written on a little old forum like SF. But actually SF has a bit of a reputation for being lively, political, and forthright, and it is read by a lot of people outside the city. So maybe not as impossible as first assumed.

There's no doubt that some forum's are trawled manually, if not all, and those robotty things trawl everything. Forums do sometimes get a mention in the news. 'Twitter,' for example, is often mentioned, as are others which are not named. And who'd have thought that 'Mumsnet' (often quoted,) would have become so influential as to have one of it's founders on 'Question Time.'

Personally I'd just be happy if I thought a few Sheffield politicians and councillors read it. They might learn something, and perhaps wouldn't need so many 'consultations' and polls... We'll happily tell them what we think.

:huh:

Troll characteristic, feign surprise.

You appear to be employing rule.

5. Sidetrack opponents with name calling and ridicule.

By pointing out your multi user profile?

17. Change the subject.

The subject is trolling, you of all should know this.

Possibly.

6. Hit and Run.

Or definitely hit-run-return in a poorly designed guise.

Or definitely hit-run-return in a poorly designed guise.

It looks like I hit a nerve. :suspect:

This just popped in my feed and is highly relevant to this thread.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-03-23/propagandists-use-automated-software-spread-disinformation

Note the article states that in 2013, the American Congress repealed the formal ban against the deployment of propaganda against U.S. citizens living on American soil. Thus thoroughly debunking cyclones straw man argument.

The article goes on to quote Mr Joel Harding, the Troll Boss I mentioned earlier.

I was in a discussion today about information being used in social media as a possible weapon. The people I was talking with have a tool which scrapes social media sites, gauges their sentiment and gives the user the opportunity to automatically generate a persuasive response. Their tool is called a “Social Networking Influence Engine”.

The people who own this tool are in the civilian world and don’t even remotely touch the defense sector, so getting approval from the US Department of State might not even occur to them

---------- Post added 23-03-2015 at 14:18 ----------

Where is that listed as a common troll tactic? You are just making it up.

Rule....what? Your keyboard seems to have broke before you finished your sentence

Yes.

Are you suggesting somebody is a troll without providing any evidence?