Butlers and joe's .

cuttsie

Used to go in Joe's when he was on Portobello Street, and then when he moved to William Street in the eighties. Always a good breakfast, set you up for the day.

But like Boginspro said if you didn't work it off your waistline would begin to expand.

I used to see Joe and Ivy having a drink in the Hare and Hounds in Dore village, they bought a property there.

Echo beach it may have been the Cambridge Coffee House me and my wife went in there when they were building Coles.I remember Needhams very well also Globe and Simpsons had their infant business on the site around where Coles is now.

Thanks bullerboy I think you're spot on there. An image on Picture Sheffield shows the Cambridge Coffee House next to the Sportsmans' Inn and although the photo was taken in '66, (after Needhams was demolished and Coles was built) it is exactly opposite where my dad's employer's place was.

echo.

• 2 weeks later...

Echo,

Could have been " The Piccolo " - run by a tall ex-army type with toothbrush tash. Made excellent hotdogs. A good place to go when we missed the Chesterfield train that would have been 1960-1963.

Edited by GrahamT
omissio

My late mother, Elsie worked for Joe and Ivy for quite a few years, and they used to take her and my dad to boxing matches at Rotherham baths. They also took me on day trips now and again with their daughter Patricia (I think that was her name. The old grey cells aren't as active as they used to be). The last time I spoke to Joe and Ivy was quite a few years ago in the Norfolk Arms at Ringinglow.

My late mother, Elsie worked for Joe and Ivy for quite a few years, and they used to take her and my dad to boxing matches at Rotherham baths. They also took me on day trips now and again with their daughter Patricia (I think that was her name. The old grey cells aren't as active as they used to be). The last time I spoke to Joe and Ivy was quite a few years ago in the Norfolk Arms at Ringinglow.

Don Rd Dude? was that near Don Place, Don Terrace .

An old work mate of mine, Pete (Plumb ) Cowlishaw, GPO & BT engineer was sat in Joe's having a cuppa and a sandwich. This was during working hours and obviously he shouldn't have been there ! The Gaffer was on the look out for lads in cafe's when they shouldn't have been and came to Joe's, peering through the window. When Plumb saw him, he raised his mug of tea to him and the Gaffer went ballistic !!

Do you ex GPO lads remember ' Walking Central ' Joe Eales, he used to call in for a mug of tea.