Changes to road regulations

Changes to road regulations and car maintenance checks will be necessary to accommodate driverless cars on the roads of the UK, a Department of Transport report has confirmed.

I think that road regulations and the highway code need a overhaul.

1. Vehicles should display their hazard warning lights when reversing.

2. Vehicle lights that are visible from 100mtrs in poor weather conditions must be on 30 minutes before sunset and 30 minutes after sunrise.

3. Failure to follow the highway code can result in a £50 fixed penalty notice.

Any rules that you think could be improved?

I don't think the three you've said would be on my list at all.

Hazards for reversing? Confusing.

We already have daylight driving lamps on newer cars. And how exactly is anyone supposed to judge 30 minutes before and after sunrise/sunset?

The highway code isn't law, it's not meant to be enforceable like law.

Revise speed limits, on smart motorways allow up as well as down depending on conditions.

Update breaking distances, they are just a nonsense in the HC at the moment.

Better enforcement of lane discipline, using highway patrol cars.

Explain merge in turn better, many people don't get it.

Periodic retesting of drivers, 5 or 10 year intervals, this would make a massive difference to driving standards I think.

Hazards for reversing? Confusing.

Periodic retesting of drivers, 5 or 10 year intervals, this would make a massive difference to driving standards I think.

Hazards whilst causing an obstruction is even more confusing, reversing vehicles are certainly a hazard.

I agree with some form of retest, maybe theory after 5 years and practicle after 10?

---------- Post added 11-02-2015 at 11:21 ----------

And how exactly is anyone supposed to judge 30 minutes before and after sunrise/sunset?

The law is 60 minutes now, and even more confusing, just headlights when the streetlights are not lit; but of course you knew that already ;)

I can't see more patrol cars being a viable option, the cost would be the big barrier there.

I do agree with periodic retesting, as a bonus you'd obviously need to employ more driving examiners and more driving instructors to cope with the extra demand.

More jobs created :)

Hazards whilst causing an obstruction is even more confusing, reversing vehicles are certainly a hazard.

I agree with some form of retest, maybe theory after 5 years and practicle after 10?

The law is 60 minutes now, and even more confusing, just headlights when the streetlights are not lit; but of course you knew that already ;)

Link please...

Headlights aren't actually required at all in streetlit areas.

---------- Post added 11-02-2015 at 11:30 ----------

Reversing vehicles have a specific light though. Why remove that and reuse a light pattern that means something else?

Link please...

The wording of the law is that the street lights must be on, quite often they are not, but it does say 30 mins not an hour.

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/lighting-requirements-113-to-116

---------- Post added 11-02-2015 at 12:00 ----------

Reversing vehicles have a specific light though. Why remove that and reuse a light pattern that means something else?

Some vehicles only have one, not enough, changes to vehicles would have to go thru the EU, but changes to driving could be done UK only.

Edited by El Cid

The law actually specifies conspicuity lights from sunset to sunrise. The 30 minutes after sunset and before sunrise has been replaced.

---------- Post added 11-02-2015 at 12:23 ----------

Link please...

You must use headlamps [road vehicle lighting regulations 1989] during the hours of darkness (defined as one half hour after local sunset and one half hour before local sunrise) except on a restricted road as defined by the road traffice regulations 1984 which is a road restricted to 30mph, and has lit streetlamps no further than 200yards apart. The vehicle has to be a motorcycle car, or car derived van or minibus.

The law actually specifies conspicuity lights from sunset to sunrise. The 30 minutes after sunset and before sunrise has been replaced.

---------- Post added 11-02-2015 at 12:23 ----------

You must use headlamps [road vehicle lighting regulations 1989] during the hours of darkness (defined as one half hour after local sunset and one half hour before local sunrise) except on a restricted road as defined by the road traffice regulations 1984 which is a road restricted to 30mph, and has lit streetlamps no further than 200yards apart. The vehicle has to be a motorcycle car, or car derived van or minibus.

So that is the same meaning?

1. Vehicles should display their hazard warning lights when reversing.

As others have said, why? The reversing light is there to signal someone is reversing. Hazard lights are for when you're causing a hazard, usually not moving so people can see you.

Since that's the case someone will look at the hazards, assume the vehicle is stationary and walk behind them. Said person then gets hit by a reversing car.

How is that better?

Yes, I was paraphrasing.

---------- Post added 11-02-2015 at 12:54 ----------

So that is the same meaning?

It's the opposite to what you said.

(defined as one half hour after local sunset and one half hour before local sunrise)

Compared to

must be on 30 minutes before sunset and 30 minutes after sunrise.