We buy any car or ancestry .com beware

Do you use Gmail to sign up for sites like this? A good trick is the following: Gmail allows you to add periods anywhere in your name. So your regular address could be kid.orry@gmail.com and the one you use to sign up for sites you aren't sure about could be k.idorry@gmail.com, then you set a filter in Gmail (easily done, lots of guides online) that sets all mail coming into that address to be stored in a separate folder. That way you can keep the two separate. You can also opt to have it put into junk straight-away, but that way you might miss relevant mails as well.

I went on these 2 sites the other day and I have had nothing but dodgy e-mails from all over the world since.I don`t know which site it was so I am blaming them both.Usually I am very careful which sites I go on but these both seemed o.k.

I avoid this by having my own domain, which comes with unlimited email addresses. So I use the company name as the recipient at that domain i.e ancestry@mydomain.co.uk

Makes it pretty easy to see who's flogging your email address.

I avoid this by having my own domain, which comes with unlimited email addresses. So I use the company name as the recipient at that domain i.e ancestry@mydomain.co.uk

Makes it pretty easy to see who's flogging your email address.

Ditto, it means a lot of email addresses but you know who's spamming you and it's easy to change the email if it starts to get spammed since it only affects the one website :)