Commons votes to ban smoking in cars in England.

I hope it will be enforced better than law prohibiting use of a hand held mobile whilst driving. £50 fine is ridiculous, it should be £500 fine

Well the basic fine for that is £60, but depending on circumstances can be far more. Harriet Harman was fined £350 when she was caught. And if you are involved in an accident jail probably awaits you.

.... The figures, from the Ministry of Justice, show the numbers of drivers taken to court leaped more than 150 per cent between 2007 and 2008.

The number of men prosecuted shot up from 9,656 to 23,649, while the number of women rose from 1,255 to 3,344.

So there is a pretty good chance that big brother is watching you. So back to the OP.. It all depends whether you think a fag is worth a hefty fine.

As long as they still allow smoking outdoors in public spaces, it won't bother me too much. As for smoking in cars with kids in them, only an idiot would do that anyway.

Agree'd, but judging by the number of people I see texting and on their mobile everyday, I think the chances of anyone geting caught are fairly slim.

why would someone want to "Grass" to the plod ?

Its something you just dont do .

Er...it's called being socially responsible. If it saves someone from being killed or paralysed by a distracted driver, it's worth it.

Have you always been in Year 10? Time to move on.

Er...it's called being socially responsible. If it saves someone from being killed or paralysed by a distracted driver, it's worth it.

Have you always been in Year 10? Time to move on.

Distracted? By smoking? :huh:

Think you may have missed the point.

Ban everything, arrest everybody. You've all probably done something wrong anyway. :cool:

This reminded me of Rowan Atkinson in the Thin Blue Line when he exclaimed, "lock em up, lock em all up, lock everyone up!!", and when detective Grim suggested locking children up at birth...."out of the womb-into the cell!" :hihi:

Edited by Guest

Distracted? By smoking? :huh:

Think you may have missed the point.

No, sorry, I was referring to texting etc., whilst driving, as discussed in earlier posts.

If the comment about 'grassing up' referred only to smokers who smoke in cars with children, then I expect that will happen less frequently than people reporting more immediately dangerous activities.

it's a bit like seat belt laws, I suspect. At the outset, some people will see it as a blatant infringement of their 'rights', but by the time the law has been in force a decade or two, those people end up looking like dinosaurs.