There's a new scam in town

I've received two calls in two days from some sort of agency wanting to know if my hearing was damaged. Normally I'd just hang up, but this was a Sheffield number as well, I made clear I wanted to be taken off their database, twice, it seems to only have worked on the second. Considering we are on the preference scheme I was very annoyed they rang us twice.

I've been getting these periodically over a few years. They seem really surprised when I tell them that, no I haven't ever worked in a noisy environment.

just had a call from someone called Lauren from a outfit called " Nuisance call Prevention " . They are basically offering to sign you up to the Telephone Preference Society which is a FREE service for a fee . Cut me off when i started asking questions

I do find this quite ironic. Getting nuisance calls from a nuisance call service.

Can't you use "caller ID"?

Even if phone has caller I.D. call centres now use fake UK or mobile numbers. T.P.S. can only regulate on calls from within the UK.

I'm registered with T.P.S. and rarely answer my landline. Last week after making several calls on it, I answered it thinking one of my callers whose number was wasn't on my phone was ringing back. It was a call centre from outside the UK. I sang at him. As I've a terrible voice and singing soprano rather than my ( I'm told ) normal contralto the poor chap tried politely to interrupt before giving in and hanging up.

Even if phone has caller I.D. call centres now use fake UK or mobile numbers. T.P.S. can only regulate on calls from within the UK.

I'm registered with T.P.S. and rarely answer my landline. Last week after making several calls on it, I answered it thinking one of my callers whose number was wasn't on my phone was ringing back. It was a call centre from outside the UK. I sang at him. As I've a terrible voice and singing soprano rather than my ( I'm told ) normal contralto the poor chap tried politely to interrupt before giving in and hanging up.

I think more people should follow his example. These parasites will soon stop

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23869462

I've had that one too,a few months ago,i said "Do you mean to stop nuisance calls like this one :hihi: :hihi:?"...i got cut off also. :)

I've responded to a similar call exactly the same. It wasn't from TPS and was from an overseas number, the accent may have been Indian? Should have reported it to TPS, but little they could probably do.

I've received two calls in two days from some sort of agency wanting to know if my hearing was damaged. Normally I'd just hang up, but this was a Sheffield number as well, I made clear I wanted to be taken off their database, twice, it seems to only have worked on the second. Considering we are on the preference scheme I was very annoyed they rang us twice.

You should have said, "Sorry, pardon, can't hear you". :)

You should have said, "Sorry, pardon, can't hear you". :)

Had one of these a few weeks ago. Kept saying "excuse me luv, you'll have to speak up, I'm a bit deaf from working in steelworks!" Dozy bint kept repeating herself louder every time! Me and ar lass were howling after 10 minutes and the lass never even twigged I was takin the pish!

I've received two calls in two days from some sort of agency wanting to know if my hearing was damaged. .

Yep..had that one too,a couple of years ago, and loads of time's since..Having worked in a noisy environment all my working life i did actually go for a hearing test at Bramall Lane,i just thought ..what have i to lose...there were lots there at the time mainly elderly people who had been in the steelworks.I was told i was nearly deaf, had a claim, and their solicitors would be in touch.Went away thinking i would probably never hear from them again...and i didn't..wasn't bothered tho' as i had a nice day out in town and a very nice sarnie from a nearby cafe.I wonder if anyone did actually have a payout tho'..be nice if they did :) and they told us on here...:D

better than hanging up is just put the receiver by the side of the phone this way they are still connected to you and cannot make another call and it also costs them.

They can hang up and make other calls...your phone being off the hook won't stop that...