Labour - Limit dole to 2 years

There are jobs. They just might not be the kind of jobs which the unemployed want to do. Most of the available work is low-skilled, zero hours contracts, part time, minimum wage. There are many jobless graduates, for example; they don't all want to work in McDonalds or in hotel kitchens.

so what work would be suitable for the head of HSBC should he loose his job.

There are lots of jobs outside of the categories you mentioned, and even then, why should the unemployed get money from the state (and thus the working) simply because they don't want to work in McDonalds, hotel kitchens or on zero hour contracts?

Why don't these places pay a living wage, so employees don't have to be subsidised by the tax payer?

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 14:02 ----------

Convince me that there aren't any. Don't just go turn that on its head.

But here you go:

http://jobsearch.monster.co.uk/search/?where=Sheffield

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/sheffield

https://www.randstad.co.uk/jobs/q-sheffield/

http://www.jobsite.co.uk/cgi-bin/advsearch

I can carry on, but trust me, there is work for everybody who is interested.

You're right, there's jobs out there. Is there a lot? No. There's probably several hundred in a commutable distance per week. Several hundred jobs a week may seem like a lot, but at the moment, there's thousands of people out of work in those areas. There's more competition than ever. And there's always people more qualified.

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 14:03 ----------

so what work would be suitable for the head of HSBC should he loose his job.

You really think he'll lose his job?

Convince me that there aren't any. Don't just go turn that on its head.

But here you go:

http://jobsearch.monster.co.uk/search/?where=Sheffield

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/sheffield

https://www.randstad.co.uk/jobs/q-sheffield/

http://www.jobsite.co.uk/cgi-bin/advsearch

I can carry on, but trust me, there is work for everybody who is interested.

Its partially true about jobs on jobs boards. Recruiters post jobs as 'link bait' to get people signed up. I know because I deal with them all the time.

Can you tell which are real? which positions are filled?

There are jobs for the well educated, experienced etc. and always will be. Unfortunately we have a north/south divide which means many decent jobs are situated in the south east of the country.

Wages are at an all time low and haven't kept up with cost of living over last 10 years.

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 14:15 ----------

Why don't these places pay a living wage, so employees don't have to be subsidised by the tax payer?

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 14:02 ----------

You're right, there's jobs out there. Is there a lot? No. There's probably several hundred in a commutable distance per week. Several hundred jobs a week may seem like a lot, but at the moment, there's thousands of people out of work in those areas. There's more competition than ever. And there's always people more qualified.

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 14:03 ----------

You really think he'll lose his job?

Bonzo is SPOT-ON. More competition than ever, even for McJobs. Add in the global marketplace and its all out JOB-WAR.

The only way people can get good jobs is to diversify and build valuable skills. But dont rely on the state to help much. And be prepared to perhaps have 3 or 4 careers in your lifetime.

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 14:22 ----------

Been going since 8 and this is my first break. Forgot to mention hours are getting longer, work more demanding. It's carnage on the shop floor people, carnage!

Edited by ubermaus

The onus is on you first to provide backup to your statement.

Good, if you read the rest of the thread you will find I did, so now the onus is on you to prove me wrong. Not holding my breath.

The usefulness of a living wage is debatable. If everybody earns a living wage, than prices go up and the living wage will have to go up again. I am not sure where I stand on it, I agree that people should be appropriately rewarded for their efforts though.

In the (short) list of links I provided there are thousands of vacancies within 40 miles of Sheffield, thus all commutable. For those prepared to relocate there are hundreds of thousands of jobs.

I don't buy into the 'oh but they are agency jobs thus fake' argument either. When a company recruits through an agency it is usually because they've not managed to satisfactory fulfil their post through their own devices. Hiring an agency is expensive for an employer. That would then indicate that on top of the thousands of jobs that are with these agencies there are a lot more jobs that are advertised through different means.

I have nearly finished my PhD and I am exploring the next options available to me. There are dozens of posts that I could go for and I am operating in a niche area.

People I know that are lowly qualified have similar choice, even in the Netherlands, where unemployment is almost twice as high as it is here now, people that lose their job tend to find work within months. It is a case of WANTING to work. My aunt, a qualified care worker, lost her job, the whole care-system in the Netherlands is going down the pan so she was sure she wouldn't find another post, what, at 55 with no experience other than care and a raft of rubbish factory jobs. Took her two weeks to get a new job at a local hotel. Nothing glamorous, but she is delighted because the last thing she wants is to sit at home twiddling her thumbs all day.

There is work, anybody who keeps denying it time after time has fallen for the self-defeating nonsense or is disingenuous.

Good, if you read the rest of the thread you will find I did, so now the onus is on you to prove me wrong. Not holding my breath.

The usefulness of a living wage is debatable. If everybody earns a living wage, than prices go up and the living wage will have to go up again. I am not sure where I stand on it, I agree that people should be appropriately rewarded for their efforts though.

In the (short) list of links I provided there are thousands of vacancies within 40 miles of Sheffield, thus all commutable. For those prepared to relocate there are hundreds of thousands of jobs.

I don't buy into the 'oh but they are agency jobs thus fake' argument either. When a company recruits through an agency it is usually because they've not managed to satisfactory fulfil their post through their own devices. Hiring an agency is expensive for an employer. That would then indicate that on top of the thousands of jobs that are with these agencies there are a lot more jobs that are advertised through different means.

I have nearly finished my PhD and I am exploring the next options available to me. There are dozens of posts that I could go for and I am operating in a niche area.

People I know that are lowly qualified have similar choice, even in the Netherlands, where unemployment is almost twice as high as it is here now, people that lose their job tend to find work within months. It is a case of WANTING to work. My aunt, a qualified care worker, lost her job, the whole care-system in the Netherlands is going down the pan so she was sure she wouldn't find another post, what, at 55 with no experience other than care and a raft of rubbish factory jobs. Took her two weeks to get a new job at a local hotel. Nothing glamorous, but she is delighted because the last thing she wants is to sit at home twiddling her thumbs all day.

There is work, anybody who keeps denying it time after time has fallen for the self-defeating nonsense or is disingenuous.

In bold. You sure about that?

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 14:42 ----------

Try telling that to minimum wage shop workers.

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 14:43 ----------

Or the government (tax payer) who has to subsidise low pay. LOL.

Wrong again.

I suggest you look up 'umbrella company' on wikipedia. Thanks to a change in government legislation, ("IR35" which allows companies to make use of small company tax reliefs,) it suits many companies to only recruit through agencies.

Edited by Anna B