IDS-free council house if tenants work for a year

The idea is they get the house, then run up a massive mortgage with one of the banks.

Loose the place and the bank clears up.

Nice way of funnelling money from public housing into the banks while at the same time looking like you're doing something good :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Where would the mortgage come from? Equity release isn't really a thing any more is it? Certainly not without a means to repay the loan.

It would save the council responsibility and money as they will not have to collect rent, repair or modernise property and when the tenant becomes old and infirm the house will have to be sold to save the council money on care costs.

Of course they would no longer own an asset worth a hundred thousand pounds and would no longer be receiving rent.

So in reality it would cost them far more than they could possibly save.

It would save the council responsibility and money as they will not have to collect rent, repair or modernise property and when the tenant becomes old and infirm the house will have to be sold to save the council money on care costs.

Not if the tenant (new owner) sells up..they could use the cash to rent somewhere and not have any left when the time comes for any care costs..so they've been living rent free really and still don't have to pay for anything at the end..the council will have paid for everything...

Of course they would no longer own an asset worth a hundred thousand pounds and would no longer be receiving rent.

So in reality it would cost them far more than they could possibly save.

I don't know of any council houses worth a hundred thousand pounds, more like £90K.

The building cost is much less than that and older property will have been paid for times over in rent.

It would also save in housing benefits.

I don't know of any council houses worth a hundred thousand pounds, more like £90K.

The building cost is much less than that and older property will have been paid for times over in rent.

It would also save in housing benefits.

You reckon it's a good idea to give houses away? Why is having fewer council houses a good idea?

Not if the tenant (new owner) sells up..they could use the cash to rent somewhere and not have any left when the time comes for any care costs..so they've been living rent free really and still don't have to pay for anything at the end..the council will have paid for everything...

The council will still have saved in repair, maintenance, modernisation and admin costs.

Which will be a considerable amount if the tenant had stayed in the house for their lifetime.

Add into the equation that some tenants have their rent, or part of, paid for them via benefits

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 11:27 ----------

You reckon it's a good idea to give houses away? Why is having fewer council houses a good idea?

I am putting forward my perception of the reasoning behind Mr. Smith's idea.

Edited by harvey19

The council will still have saved in repair, maintenance and admin costs.

Which will be a considerable amount if the tenant had stayed in the house for their lifetime.

Add into the equation that some tenants have their rent, or part of, paid for them via benefits

They'd still be getting the benefits really though wouldn't they?

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 11:29 ----------

I am putting forward my perception of the reasoning behind Mr. Smith's idea.

Do you think it's a good idea? Really simple question..

Edited by truman