IDS-free council house if tenants work for a year

Margret Thatchers government brought in the 'right to buy' scheme as they had this idea that property owners were more likely to vote conservative. :rolleyes:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-2351471%2FGeneration-Rent-cost-Conservatives-votes-warns-think-tank-home-ownership-falls-lowest-levels-Thatcher.html&ei=ueHcVO30FIOQ7Aami4GgAw&usg=AFQjCNE3L51YAtMmDfG_HnO2kKoxZa8BRQ&bvm=bv.85761416,d.ZGU

The problem with what you say above is that a lot of people are going to lose their jobs if this goes through.

Those who are unable to get another job will wind up on benefits.

There will also be a resultant drop in spending power which will impact on local businesses, some will go out of business, putting more people on benefits.

The law of unintended consequences can be a problem.

I think Margaret Thatcher's government decision to introduce "Right to Buy" was a very shrewd far sighted plan to reduce council costs regarding housing and also realised that in old age many people would end up selling these very same houses( which they had paid to repair and modernise etc,) to pay for their costs thus saving the council money again.

The major problem we have is the price of private housing which rose astronomically a few years ago and continues.

I think Margaret Thatcher's government decision to introduce "Right to Buy" was a very shrewd far sighted plan to reduce council costs regarding housing and also realised that in old age many people would end up selling these very same houses( which they had paid to repair and modernise etc,) to pay for their costs thus saving the council money again.

The major problem we have is the price of private housing which rose astronomically a few years ago and continues.

She certainly didn't introduce it out of the goodness of her own heart!

Banks realised that the British public were sitting on potential millions in loans and mortgages. Wouldn't surprise me if the banks didn't "donate" a large proportion of thatchers campaign fund!

In reality it appears that tenants would be able to purchase their council houses after a qualifying period of 1 year instead of the present 3(I think this is correct) and must be in employment.

Therefore it just means the term a tenant has lived in their house before having the right to buy it has been reduced and a mortgage can be obtained after 1 year in employment.

Do you agree with this interpretation of the article ?

Well the Times strapline is 'Council Tenants Rewarded for coming off benefits'.

Which implies that it is the ones not considered to be paying their way and costing local authorities money that are the ones being targeted.

However, I don't see how a council house tenant who is not receiving benefit could be excluded as that would be totally unfair.

I've got no problem with anyone wanting to buy their home if they want to and see no problem with them receiving a discount if they have been living there for years and paying rent.

In the Times article they also mention extending the scheme to tenants of Housing Associations.

This hasn't gone down well with the National Housing Federation. They have pointed out that their members are collectively borrowing £50 Billion to build homes and would have no way of repaying the debt if the scheme goes ahead.

The idea was described as 'Bonkers' by some Housing Association members.

I don't know of any council houses worth a hundred thousand pounds, more like £90K.

The building cost is much less than that and older property will have been paid for times over in rent.

It would also save in housing benefits.

They can cost well over £100k as well one for £131k here and another for £124k both were previously bought under right to buy. Prices have gone up in Mosborough since then as well.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices/mosborough/moor-crescent/s20-5ap/?category=residential&q=S20%205ap&search_source=nav

Well the Times strapline is 'Council Tenants Rewarded for coming off benefits'.

Which implies that it is the ones not considered to be paying their way and costing local authorities money that are the ones being targeted.

However, I don't see how a council house tenant who is not receiving benefit could be excluded as that would be totally unfair.

I've got no problem with anyone wanting to buy their home if they want to and see no problem with them receiving a discount if they have been living there for years and paying rent.

In the Times article they also mention extending the scheme to tenants of Housing Associations.

This hasn't gone down well with the National Housing Federation. They have pointed out that their members are collectively borrowing £50 Billion to build homes and would have no way of repaying the debt if the scheme goes ahead.

The idea was described as 'Bonkers' by some Housing Association members.

Ref The Times strapline I think it comes under the description "Sensationalism sells Newspapers"

Seems as though even The Thunderer is competing !

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 18:08 ----------

She certainly didn't introduce it out of the goodness of her own heart!

Banks realised that the British public were sitting on potential millions in loans and mortgages. Wouldn't surprise me if the banks didn't "donate" a large proportion of thatchers campaign fund!

Don't you think Labour agree with the benefits of the policy otherwise they would have increased housing stocks.

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 18:14 ----------

They can cost well over £100k as well one for £131k here and another for £124k both were previously bought under right to buy. Prices have gone up in Mosborough since then as well.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices/mosborough/moor-crescent/s20-5ap/?category=residential&q=S20%205ap&search_source=nav

The council will have benefited in this money being used for care costs in relevant cases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe-b-1 View Post

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices...rch_source=nav

[/color]

The council will have benefited in this money being used for care costs in relevant cases.

Not by much:- it was the new owners not the council who sold them for £131k and £124k. When initially bought under right to buy they were considerably less - about £13k.

I take it you are a worshipper of this clown are you seriously thinking this proposal has anything to do with helping the the working man/woman do you.

I have never felt more contempt for a politician as IDS in my life his treatment of the sick and vulnerable is unforgiveable.

'Alan Ladd' is a wind up merchant, best to ignore him.

Edited by Mister M

Excellent idea from a great minister.

Whats wrong with giving someone an incentive in life? If someone has been feckless in their youth but have changed, have decided to be a contributor rather than a dependent good luck to them.

Great idea.

---------- Post added 12-02-2015 at 11:44 ----------

Well that's todays nominee for the most stupid response.

No it is not the funniest remark on this particular post is yours great minister MY ARSE as old man royle would say I like a good laugh

I don't know of any council houses worth a hundred thousand pounds, more like £90K.

The building cost is much less than that and older property will have been paid for times over in rent.

It would also save in housing benefits.

You have heard of London I hope.

It would be worth someones while in London (and elsewhere) to "employ" people on the dole for a year or so with the promise that they'd buy the council house off them for £XXX.

Given house prices in London a "sales tax" of 35% would still leave both parties with a healthy profit.

The proposal looks wide open to scamming.