Universal credit rollout from Monday across the UK.

It is illegal. But people who are in minimum wage jobs often need assistance as they cannot manage - in fact I believe that more money is spent on in work benefits such as tax credits, housing benefits, than is spent on supporting people who don't have any work at all.

So there won't BE anyone earning less than minimum wage, because that would be illegal.. That's what I don't understand.

So there won't BE anyone earning less than minimum wage, because that would be illegal.. That's what I don't understand.

As I read it, if a person currently works 34 hours a week (or less) on a low wage (even if that is at or above the NMW hourly rate) and claims top up benefits, they are liable to be sanctioned if they don't procure more hours, a second job to generate themselves more income or a better job altogether.

Edited by *Belle*

If working people on less than 35hrs a week are to be harassed by the DWP, how will that work?

Cos if it involves 'signing on'/mandatory fortnightly interviews, chances are those interviews will fall within the hours they're working- the DWP are not flexible when it comes to such things.

If the person isn't working for a very understanding employer indeed, then having to leave work for 2hrs every fortnight to sign on, is likely to lead to that job being lost.

If working people on less than 35hrs a week are to be harassed by the DWP, how will that work?

Cos if it involves 'signing on'/mandatory fortnightly interviews, chances are those interviews will fall within the hours they're working- the DWP are not flexible when it comes to such things.

If the person isn't working for a very understanding employer indeed, then having to leave work for 2hrs every fortnight to sign on, is likely to lead to that job being lost.

I don't think they'll bother policing it like that. I think they'll simply put a time limit on 'top up' money, say it will only be paid for 6 months or something...

Then they'll claim to have got more people into full time jobs, based on the drop in people claiming tax credits.

Just like they've done with the unemployment figures.

It's even more complicated if they work for the DWP - They could be sanctioned by their colleagues!

Oh well if it turns the poor against the even poorer then people aren't picking on tax dodgers!

People may have missed an announcement snuck out about the Universal Credit earlier this month.

Apparently low paid workers, in work, claiming the Universal Credit, could face sanctions if they do not get a pay rise and stop claiming UC. Penalising those already in work, albeit, low paid jobs. All claimants earning less than the minimum wage for a 35 hour week will be forced to demonstrate that they are constantly looking for ‘more, or better paid’ work. Failure to comply could lead to workfare or in-work benefits being stopped.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/02/ministers-are-reaching-beyond-scroungers-and-aiming-britain-s-working-poor

Some part time workers at Jobcentres are likely to fall into this group, meaning that Jobcentre staff could be responsible for sending their colleagues, or even themselves, on workfare!

Only if they want to sponge.

If instead they accept the part time pay they have chosen and don't expect somebody else to pay them extra for no good reason, they don't need to claim and don't need to look for alternative work.

Only if they want to sponge.

If instead they accept the part time pay they have chosen and don't expect somebody else to pay them extra for no good reason, they don't need to claim and don't need to look for alternative work.

It isn't always about choice. I'd prefer to work Full-Time if i could. But I care for my mom, therefore I have to work Part-Time. It isn't about sponging. If I wanted to sponge, I wouldn't go to work and would just sit at home. Instead I choose to go to work and care for my mom as well. I get no help for the caring. I do work for the DWP btb.

It really does pee me off no end that people lump all claimants as sponges etc...

Edited by Groose