The state of Sheffield football pitches

CorkerSWFC

I know we have had some bad weather but some of the pitches in Sheffield are disgraceful.

It's about time grass roots football was looked after more, after all this is where a lot of our younger footballers start to play.

Either sort them out or get building more centres with all weather pitches and stop concentrating on higher levels of the game all the time.

With the amounts just been paid out by sky and BT combined, I've read a figure of £10m being "filtered" down to grass roots. Its laughable, an absolute joke tbh, and makes no wonder England will never get close to winning the world cup or Euros ever again. Its sad but we all know that money has ruined our national game. Yes the PL may be the pinnacle of the footballing world but its detrimental to not only the national team but obviously to the future of BRITISH football as a whole.

Look at the standard of grassroot football pitches in Germany, Spain, even the African continents, we are miles away.

The FA and Greg dyke ought to be ashamed of themselves IMO.

Couldn't agree more fella.

It's no coincidence there have been quite a few serious injuries to players even in the football leagues (Asombalonga for instance)

A lady friend of mine who plays football dislocated her knee today because her foot got caught in the pitch.

It's simply not good enough.

Just YouTube Bayern's u10 pitch, or AC Milan etc etc, then look at the pitches of the feeder clubs, I will never forget Jose Mourinho on the ' why England will never win the world cup again' documentary, " In England, you are taught to win, the rest of the world are taught to play football".

Sad but true.

Just YouTube Bayern's u10 pitch, or AC Milan etc etc, then look at the pitches of the feeder clubs, I will never forget Jose Mourinho on the ' why England will never win the world cup again' documentary, " In England, you are taught to win, the rest of the world are taught to play football".

Sad but true.

spot on , we cant get basics right at grassroots level , so what chance we got higher up.

To be fair your never going to get someone from the meadowhall sunday league going to the world cup.

All of the best talent is endentified before they are 12/13 and they are hived off to play for the academys on good pitches.

Saying that they are a discrace and the local councils should be forced to do something about them- all weather pitches would be a good start (paid for by the TV money).

With the amounts just been paid out by sky and BT combined, I've read a figure of £10m being "filtered" down to grass roots. Its laughable, an absolute joke tbh.

I read a comment online that when Sky Sports first showed the PL back 92' they gave £15m to grass roots. How can they only give £10m these days ?

Pathetic.

To be fair your never going to get someone from the meadowhall sunday league going to the world cup.

All of the best talent is endentified before they are 12/13 and they are hived off to play for the academys on good pitches.

Exactly, Kyle Walker was 7 when the Blades picked him up.

I read a comment online that when Sky Sports first showed the PL back 92' they gave £15m to grass roots. How can they only give £10m these days ?

Pathetic.

£10m equates to two thirds of Wayne Rooneys basic pay.

If the amount had only matched inflation today it would be worth £27m.

---------- Post added 16-02-2015 at 14:23 ----------

Hundreds of footballers have been spotted playing Saturday/Sunday football and over the ages you guys mentioned.

Signed professional after leaving army and went on to play for SWFC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Whittingham

Pathetic.

I think Kyle Walker was an early product of FURD and sponsored by them.