The state of Sheffield football pitches

CorkerSWFC

£10m equates to two thirds of Wayne Rooneys basic pay.

If the amount had only matched inflation today it would be worth £27m.

---------- Post added 16-02-2015 at 14:23 ----------

Signed professional after leaving army and went on to play for SWFC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Whittingham

I was thinking about Guy bloody good player as well.

---------- Post added 16-02-2015 at 14:33 ----------

Theres a few late starters on here, not all English but some interesting ones...

http://football-wonderkids.co.uk/footballers-made-late/

I was thinking about Guy bloody good player as well.

---------- Post added 16-02-2015 at 14:33 ----------

Theres a few late starters on here, not all English but some interesting ones...

http://football-wonderkids.co.uk/footballers-made-late/

Funny that RvN is on that list, he was hot property from the moment he stepped onto the pitch and effectively had an offer from PSV via Heerenveen in his pocket the moment he started scoring for Den Bosch.

The guy on that list that I admire(d) is Luca Toni, he was a proper journeyman that nobody really thought would make it, but he got through on sheer character.

I wonder just how many matches are called off between say late November and the end of February ? Some teams must go weeks without playing and those who do not have access to indoor facilities or an all weather pitch to train on will be struggling when the weather improves again and the end of the season is looming.

There has been a suggestion of starting the season earlier - followed by complaints that it will impact on the cricket.

The lower football league clubs - northern counties - cannot use 3G pitches either to play on -I think there was a recent vote on this at FA or FL level.

There will be no money flowing down the league system for basic improvements or investment in pitches at grass roots level - not when you have to find £250,000 per week to pay a single player !

For grass roots managers it is a nightmare job. The pitches are (usually) awful, off road bikes tearing them up/dog mess/broken glass/litter all over them etc. But you were thankful when you were allocated a pitch for the season. Getting referees is a complete headache. Unless you are lucky enough to get yourselves a generous a sponsor you have to be reliant on the lads paying their subs to get kits, pay for the pitches/referees/nets/flags etc. I used to train my lads on the 'all weather' surface at Graves Leisure - which was basically loose concrete.

No money ever flowed down to grass roots in the 6 years I managed my lads. Charnock Ridgeway F.C. was a completely self sufficient club. I dread to think how much it cost me - I never stopped to add it up or I wouldn't have lasted 6 years. It is purely down to Joe Blogs goodwill that grass roots football continues and the F.A. do not apparently give a flying f*rt about it. As for SKY - imho they are pricing the game out of everyone's reach except the elite. :rant: Soz - rant over!

No need to apologise miss, I think it gets every working mans blood boiling, the price of football at the top level simply does not justify the level of funding at grass roots, I'm sure every sane person in the country, and if it wasn't for crazy, I mean kind hearted folk like yourself, getting out there and getting the kids interested then we, as a country, would decline even further in the world rankings.

Say hello to grumpy old Pete when ya see him next will ya.

And the working woman's blood too - :hihi:

I will say Hello for you Luke - here's his latest joke - don't blame me for this one - goes like this :-

Young man who lost his virginity making love to the exhaust pipe of a lorry has today been confirmed as HGV positive. Yes - I know but to balance that I have a cheese joke for you:-

What did the cheese say when it looked in the mirror?

Halloumi :)

That is enough of me trying to stop my blood boiling :)

You have to have kids of a certain age for that one Hon!! Lol.

How do you handle a dangerous cheese?

Caerphilly.

Right, how do we, the concerned public, get the SKY money down to grass roots footie?

Any suggestions anyone?

I for one, fear that my Sky subs will be going up with a bang just to see the same teams week in week out - I don't even watch PL footie. I have the sports for the Cricket and Tennis and occasional Rugby match.

Some good news on this was announced late last year.

Sheffield are piloting a country wide scheme to install hundreds of 3G all weather pitches.

It's part funded by the FA and Sheffield council are chucking in £1 million to build 6 pitches in the city. I think they are hoping to have a couple ready for the start of next season.