Cost of taking stuff to the tip

That`s what I was thinking Skinz. I think the the local authorities need to be very careful, people will only tolerate so much. As in the OP`s case, people are now paying for a service through their council tax and are not receiving that service.

They're responsible for the delivery of the service, they've chosen to outsource it, seems like good business to me.

Being a middle-man is always good business :thumbsup:

Really the council should be wise to it tho, employing middle-men is just wasting money.

Were The Green Company not considered when this contract was put out to tender?????

That`s what I was thinking Skinz. I think the the local authorities need to be very careful, people will only tolerate so much. As in the OP`s case, people are now paying for a service through their council tax and are not receiving that service.

Genuine question..does council tax cover getting rid of building rubble?

Genuine question..does council tax cover getting rid of building rubble?

Apparently not, if you live in N.Yorkshire.

It gets worse. When we took our bathroom rubble, plasterboards, etc., the officious man at the tip cast his eye over it and declared that 3 (small) pieces of plasterboard (total area about 2sq m), would cost £6 each to dispose of, and that the three half-full rubble sacks would each be £7.50.

Having consulted the NY website, we discover that plasterboard should be charged at £6 per full sized board (8' x 4') and the rubble should be £2.50 per 25kg bag. However, waste won't be weighed at the recycling centre - it is up to the staff who have all received 'special training' so that they can 'visually assess' the quantity of waste brought, and charge a fair price for it.

Think our guy needs spectacles...

Edited by aliceBB

Will this increase the likelihood of fly-tipping? Not to mention the cost of clearing it up (taxpayers).

Of course it will , just as it incread fly tipping when the council put the barriers up to stop large vans using the tips.

its false economy.

They install barriers to stop trades lads dumping there for nowt, so the van lads fly tip instead meaning the taxpayer has to pick up the tab for the cleaning up of the fly tipping as well as the cost of the disposal of the rubbish. SO what was intended to save the taxpayer money ( stopping trades dumping rubbish for nowt) , is actually costing the taxpayer considerably more .

Of course it will , just as it incread fly tipping when the council put the barriers up to stop large vans using the tips.

its false economy.

They install barriers to stop trades lads dumping there for nowt, so the van lads fly tip instead meaning the taxpayer has to pick up the tab for the cleaning up of the fly tipping as well as the cost of the disposal of the rubbish. SO what was intended to save the taxpayer money ( stopping trades dumping rubbish for nowt) , is actually costing the taxpayer considerably more .

actually, it's an example of joined up government in action...

both the parties which are likely to form the core of the next government seem to be aspiring to force unemployed people do things like pick up litter and other such stuff.

clearly, this has to be carefully managed else the existing litter picker uppers will lose their jobs, so by creating a massive fly tipping problem, the existing street cleaners jobs are secured and the unemployed people forced into this have something to do.

• 2 months later...

So how can I get a waste carriers licence. First reply at the MAW site, mentioned elsewhere was not how much it would cost to bring my own trade waste but that I must have a carriers licence.

?

So what's in it for Veolia?

A nice fat juicy government contract.

Savings on the workforce payroll, due to revised pay and conditions, which the owners of Veolia will keep in their back pocket, at the expense of the workers.

And the government will be able to claim it has cut the public sector.