Which are the best little towns to see in Ireland

Mayo is a lovely county alright, if you lived there I suppose you managed to have the odd drink in Matt Molloy's?

After Matt Malloys drive out of Westport down the coast road towards Louisburgh and go in Campbells for a Guinness before climbing Croagh Patrick:)

At that point turn and look out over Clew Bay, out to the Atlantic Ocean, where the Gulf Stream runs and see the amount of Islands that lay out in front of you. At some point take the N17 down to Galway whilst listening to the Saw Doctors!

and don't forget to picnic off Atlantic Drive or down in Connemara! Or simply enjoy the west coast beaches for their unrivaled beauty and solitude. Old Head is a beautiful crescent shaped beach that's awesome for walking the dog, I've had some of the happiest times of my life on this beach and few wedding anniversarys writing romantic stuff in the sand:hihi: Then there;s silver strand which at one point was once listed as one of the top five beaches in the world...........yes that's right, and it's just a twelve hour journey from Sheffield. Now I've got to sort out when we go back!:)

Fire up the Land Rover!!

Edited by bulldog D
stuff added

I went to a lovely little place called The Bog View on The Dingle Peninsular, unfortunately it doesn't seem to have a website. It was in the middle of nowhere with a 2 mile walk to the pub.

If you are not averse to towns then Cashel is lovely, and I loved Cork so much I got a tattoo there!

After Matt Malloys drive out of Westport down the coast road towards Louisburgh and go in Campbells for a Guinness before climbing Croagh Patrick:)

At that point turn and look out over Clew Bay, out to the Atlantic Ocean, where the Gulf Stream runs and see the amount of Islands that lay out in front of you. At some point take the N17 down to Galway whilst listening to the Saw Doctors!

and don't forget to picnic off Atlantic Drive or down in Connemara! Or simply enjoy the west coast beaches for their unrivaled beauty and solitude. Old Head is a beautiful crescent shaped beach that's awesome for walking the dog, I've had some of the happiest times of my life on this beach and few wedding anniversarys writing romantic stuff in the sand:hihi: Then there;s silver strand which at one point was once listed as one of the top five beaches in the world...........yes that's right, and it's just a twelve hour journey from Sheffield. Now I've got to sort out when we go back!:)

Fire up the Land Rover!!

The West coast beaches (as you say) are beautiful, and not many people around. I have a photo somewhere of me with a Porpoise, that had sadly died after getting stranded on the beach.

One of my favourite place is Connaught (Achill Island) drive right down to Strand and you're literally on the beach with awesome views.

As my mum was from County Clare and most of my family live there I've been going over all my life and lived and went to school there for a while.

My idea of going to Ireland was always get to Clare, stay with the family, have a great time return to Sheffield.

My wife suggested many years ago that it might be an idea whilst we were there to have a look around the place.

Since then we've stayed over in 16 counties several of them on several occasions and have driven all around the coast with the exception of the stretch between Malahide and Larne.

Beautiful country and friendly people. We even spent a few days in Tipperary at a cousins wedding in the Glen of Aherlow overlooked by the Galtee mountains and had to admit that was spectacular too.

I have a problem with Tipperary, it's a hurling thing, their OK apart from that. :)

Its made me feel quite nostalgic reading this thread, I haven't been to Ireland for a few years.

My Grandparents were from Westport so I know all those places mentioned and have climbed Crough Patrick which was a great, and for me quite a spiritual experience.

If you make it to Matt Malloys you will have a great time, especially if you like this type of lively music.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R_tnu9G0TM

Sligo is nice too.

Its made me feel quite nostalgic reading this thread, I haven't been to Ireland for a few years.

My Grandparents were from Westport so I know all those places mentioned and have climbed Crough Patrick which was a great, and for me quite a spiritual experience.

If you make it to Matt Malloys you will have a great time, especially if you like this type of lively music.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R_tnu9G0TM

Sligo is nice too.

A few years ago a cousin of mine and his wife climbed 'The Reek' on a cold and foggy day, as they were nearing the top they passed a man coming down who said " Not long now lads and the soup and sandwiches at the cafe are lovely".

When they got to the top my cousin noticed his wife looking around with a puzzled expression, when he asked her what she was looking for she said " Where are they serving the soup? ".

She hasn't lived it down since. :)