New Cameras on A61 after halifax road going to Barnsley

Kiroko

Has anybody noticed those noew cameras across A61 going towards barnsley just after halifax Road? I have noticed two sets mounted on yellow poles high across the road.

Does anybody know what they are for?

Average speed check. Just like Stocksbridge bypass or A616.

For many months after the cameras went up, there were still loose cables and incomplete ground repair, as if it hadn't been completed. I would presume it now has been completed and working (if not, then the installation is particularly inefficient), but I don't know, as there has never been a "now in operation" type of sign, (although they probably don't need one as the warning symbols have been up all along. So maybe it has been working all along.

Does anyone know if they are actually working or not? Has anyone been caught by them and ticketed?

I doubt that many people would exceed the average by much on the winding section, but might on the straight section between the Jet station and the McDonald's roundabout.

I doubt that many people would exceed the average by much on the winding section, but might on the straight section between the Jet station and the McDonald's roundabout.

The straight section for which a 50mph limit is completely unnecessary :loopy:

If it wasn't for the crossroads half way along you might have a point, a crossroads where I have seen the aftermath of some pretty serious collisions.

jb

One day last year I was driving towards Sheffield on a clear day. Just as I arrived at that junction (within the 50 speed limit) a car pulled straight across in front of me. I braked as hard as I could (thank you anti-lock brakes) and just missed the boot of the car as it drove away. There was no way I could have stopped - I was still travelling quickly as I passed where the car had been. It was a nearly clear road, with a large gap in front of me as I approached the junction. The driver had plenty of opportunity to see me (over about 200 m) - in fact I know she looked in my direction several times. If she didn't see me then, I don't know what she thought she was looking for. I don't think I could ever understand what she thought she was doing. One of the biggest frights of my life.