Anyone remember Aberdeen Street?

Sweep

I remember Aberdeen Street fairly well . It was full of characters , as was a lot of the Broomhall area pre-Inner Ring Road times.

In the '60's we quite often went in the pub at the top , at , or near , the junction with Upper Hanover Street , the Aberdeen . The landlord , for many years , was a nice geezer , called Cyril , who later had a pub at Loxley , on the road that leads out to where the big ,' Carbon ' place was [ or is ? ].

If Upper Hanover Street and Broomhall Street had been right-angled triangles , Aberdeen Street , would have made the hypotenuse[ sp .?] .

It started roughly opposite the top of Thomas Street , near Viners , and finished not far from where the Hanover pub is [ was ?] now .As you can see from all this , it's a few years since I was round the old area but I'll never forget some of the locals from that far off era !

The "Aberdeen" was at the top of Aberdeen street where it met Upper Hanover street, on the opposite corner was "Eblett's"Fish and Chip shop.

My grandfather was a Chimney sweep who lived in Upper Hanover street and swept most of the chimneys in the Broomhall area. his name was Jack Winfield.

• 5 years later...

I've just re-read the posts on this thread and Fareast mentions a landlord who was in the Aberdeen pub. He also mentions the same landlord, name of Cyril, who was in a pub up Loxley. I went in the Aberdeen no more than a couple of times back in the 50's, rough old joint then, the landlord had a length of pipe under the bar. They didn't call him Cyril.

But fast forward to the early 60's and the pub at Loxley. Was it the 'Wisewood Inn? I went in there one time and there was some jazz on. The landlord was a jazz fan, name of Cyril, I remember. It's got to be the same guy. Anybody know what happened to him?

Yes I do very clearly, I lived with my Mum and Dad on Upper Hanover St nearly opposite the top of Aberdeen St, also Ebletts chippy and Mrs Eblett who stood no nonsense, any trouble and you were out, she had a daughter called Dora, it was just opposite the Aberdeen House pub, and during the war the landlord was a man called Horace Machin, and when the air raid warnings went during the night being of a nervous disposition regarding air raids he opened the pub for company, and air raid wardens, policemen, firemen and others on duty knew they could get a swift half.

Some of my best pals lived in Aberdeen St, Frank Odale was one, his dad had served in WW1, Frank had two older sisters Enid and Edna, another big mate was Gordon Wood who lived about half way down the street, and Peter Glaves who lived in the same yard, and at the bottom lived Ronnie Lindsay better later known as Jimmy Crawford.

The Green brothers Derek and Donny were two more, and someone who we looked on with awe was a man called "Lol" Bownes who played football for Norton Woodseats, and played for the National Fire Service in representative matches, and in his off duty time used to coach us and his son Roy. Most of these memories are of wartime, but Frank Oldale was a mate right up to the time he did his National Service in the RAF, just before I did mine, and when I came on leave he was back in civvy street we used to go in the Broomhall Tavern to have drink and play darts. Yes I remember Aberdeen St and with it many happy memories

Some good memories there. I lived in Aberdeen St. from when I was born until about 1963 when the street was demolished.

I lived next door to the Bownes family and remember that Lol used to operate the scoreboard at Bramall Lane (but I didn't hold it against him)

Jimmy Crawford lived opposite, as did Les Moore who played football, I think for Derby.

A few others that I remember were the Steens, Hutchinsons and the Radford family

There is a photo on PictureSheffield of the bottom of Aberdeen St when it was being pulled down. This should be the link :

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;(^|%20+)s13859($|%20+)&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUFiZXJkZWVuJTI4JTI0JTdDKyUyQiUyOSZhY3Rpb249c2VhcmNoJm9wZXJhdGlvbj1BTkQ=