Sheffield Beer Week - 16th - 22nd March

Stoatwobbler

some events at the Shakespeare, taken from their Farcebook page...

The inaugural Sheffield Beer Week (http://sheffieldbeerweek.co.uk/) takes place from Monday 16th - Sunday 22nd March, coinciding with the SIBA Beer X festival at Ice Sheffield. To celebrate this homage to the hop and glorification of the grain, we are putting on a series of events, as well as showcasing some of the best beers Sheffield and indeed the rest of the World have to offer, on cask, keg and in bottle. Keep an eye out on social media for extra additions but here's what's confirmed so far:

Monday 16th March. 7:30pm. £12

IPA Bottle Tasting with Beer Central Ltd

A chance to sample six different hoppy India Pale Ales from both sides of the Atlantic, with Sean Clarke from Beer Central and Chris Bamford from Shakespeares giving their tuppence about the beers and the style. Message ourselves or Beer Central or turn up at 7.30 on the day to book your place on the tasting.

Tuesday 17th March. 7.30pm. £10

Barrel Aged Beer Tasting with Siren Craft Brew

Join members of the team from the countries top rated brewery (according to the 2014 Rate Beer awards) to taste some of Siren Craft breweries exceptional barrel aged beers and hear and taste about the effects of different casks on the beer. The tasting includes a half of Siren's flagship multi-barrel aged and blended Maiden 2014 and their Broken Dream Breakfast Stout aged in Ardbeg Whisky casks. Drop us a message to reserve a place or turn up on the day.

Wednesday 18th March. 7pm. Free.

Meet the brewers. Featuring Steel City Brewing, Waen Brewery Ltd and more TBC

To coincide with brewers and brewsters from across the country converging on Sheffield for Beer X, we're hosting an evening giving you the chance to drink the beers alongside and ask questions about the brewing process, beer styles or anything else of some of the best in the business.

Thursday 19th March. 7.30. Free. TBC.

Cask vs Keg with Abbeydale brewery.

A chance to try Abbeydale Breweries new collaboration with Rat Brewery, Big Foot Red Rye Ale, on both cask (the only cask in existence) and keg in the presence of the brewers, who can (hopefully) explain the differences. May feature ex Shakespeares legend Robin Baker.

The inaugural Sheffield Beer Week (http://sheffieldbeerweek.co.uk/) takes place from Monday 16th - Sunday 22nd March, coinciding with the SIBA Beer X festival at Ice Sheffield. To celebrate this homage to the hop and glorification of the grain, we are putting on a series of events, as well as showcasing some of the best beers Sheffield and indeed the rest of the World have to offer, on cask, keg and in bottle. Keep an eye out on social media for extra additions but here's what's confirmed so far:

A chance to sample six different hoppy India Pale Ales from both sides of the Atlantic, with Sean Clarke from Beer Central and Chris Bamford from Shakespeares giving their tuppence about the beers and the style. Message ourselves or Beer Central or turn up at 7.30 on the day to book your place on the tasting.

Join members of the team from the countries top rated brewery (according to the 2014 Rate Beer awards) to taste some of Siren Craft breweries exceptional barrel aged beers and hear and taste about the effects of different casks on the beer. The tasting includes a half of Siren's flagship multi-barrel aged and blended Maiden 2014 and their Broken Dream Breakfast Stout aged in Ardbeg Whisky casks. Drop us a message to reserve a place or turn up on the day.

To coincide with brewers and brewsters from across the country converging on Sheffield for Beer X, we're hosting an evening giving you the chance to drink the beers alongside and ask questions about the brewing process, beer styles or anything else of some of the best in the business.

A chance to try Abbeydale Breweries new collaboration with Rat Brewery, Big Foot Red Rye Ale, on both cask (the only cask in existence) and keg in the presence of the brewers, who can (hopefully) explain the differences. May feature ex Shakespeares legend Robin Baker.

So that's Siren Craft events at both Shakey's and the Rutland Arms then! :)

It's times like this I really don;t want to be living in Barnsley. I'll make two of the events at best. Plus SiBA of course.

Yeah, it does sound good. Who`s organising the beer week? I`m unsure about SIBA. List looks solid but it`s expensive and the reviews I heard about last year were mixed at best.

SiBA is only £6.60 (inc booking fee) if you're a CAMRA member. We went on the Saturday when it opened last year and it was fine until about 7pm when loads of people came in for the 'Completely Awful Brothers' and started asking why there was no lager. It soon became 4 deep at the bar and you couldn't see what was on, despite the TV screens above. So we got out of there. But that was 7pm, so had got a good 6 hours or so of drinking in anyway.

It's times like this I really don;t want to be living in Barnsley.

you mean there's times you actually do want to live there?! ;)

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 12:39 ----------

I'll make two of the events at best. Plus SiBA of course.

I'd flag off SIBA and do more of the pub events personally...

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 12:40 ----------

SiBA is only £6.60 (inc booking fee) if you're a CAMRA member.

'only' £6.60 to get into somewhere to buy beer? bargain!

Think I'll pay £0.00 to get into the Shakey, Rutland, etc...

you mean there's times you actually do want to live there?! ;)

Oy you! Barnsley has it's merits! There is one good pub! And a cool £160k is enough to have bought me a large brand new 3 bed detached house a mile outside the centre. Which makes it ideal for trips not only into Sheffield (where I work and do most of my drinking) but also monthly trips to Leeds and Huddersfield.

Talking of which it's Huddersfield this weekend. Oh yeah. Admit it. You WISH you were going to the Grove... ;c)

---------- Post added 04-03-2015 at 13:20 ----------

'only' £6.60 to get into somewhere to buy beer? bargain!

Think I'll pay £0.00 to get into the Shakey, Rutland, etc...

And of course there is that... but you can do that any day of the week (indeed, you actually do!) I'm not a normal Yorkshireman... Change can actually be good! ;c)

Edited by DnAuK

Yeah, it does sound good. Who`s organising the beer week? I`m unsure about SIBA. List looks solid but it`s expensive and the reviews I heard about last year were mixed at best.

The problem with the beer list is it makes me yawn.............yes it's extensive and covers a wide range of styles and abv but nothing excites me. Lots of average beers from average breweries.

Why have such an extensive beer list but have nothing standout. Yes I know it's SIBA but in terms of my favorite breweries not many are represented or if they are they are providing 1 average, safe beer.

I might as well go to The Shakey or The Rutland or Brewdog. Better range of beers in a better surroundings, not rammed and better served.