Having kids for benefits

Yes, some have children to get money. Some even try and pressure GP's to get their kids diagnosed with ADHD to get additional money.

But how many? Nobody knows.

But what can you do about it anyway? Just say that the only people who can have kids are the ones who have a job? That won't work.

Maybe just do away with family allowance or whatever it is called now? It dates from the 50's and times now are a lot different from then.

A lot of children diagnosed with Special Educational Needs come from all social classes. There was a perception that middle class parents were keen for their children who have behavioural problems to have a medical diagnosis, as it gave 'respectability' to their children's behaviour in the eyes of their peers.

However that's rarely mentioned in comparison to notion that parents want to get their kids a diagnosis as they'll get more benefits.

Before commenting I'd like to see more hard facts, as single mothers and low paid people / families with children are often the target for a lot of scapegoating and demonising by politicians and the press.

But I will say that people who have children work to look after them. There was a report out recently that showed that by the time the child reaches 16, the cost of raising a child is massive. And many parents do a great job, (some don't, but then some parents who aren't reliant on benefits don't do a great job either).

I do know that it has been reported that there has been a sharp decline in the number of single parents over recent years. So perhaps people realise that being a single parent isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Being a parent is a hard job, being a single parent must be far harder. I cannot believe many people choose this route as a career.

I think you're the only one who realises the angle of this thread.

No he's not...

---------- Post added 20-02-2015 at 12:52 ----------

Read the op.

I don't see any one in that posts saying it's illegal..it's legal right up to the point that fraud comes into it..in the same way as tax avoidance is legal but tax evasion isn't..I assume that's the similarity Bonzo is trying to point out..

Being a parent is a hard job, being a single parent must be far harder. I cannot believe many people choose this route as a career.

I agree, unfortunately our newspapers (or were in the 1990s), about how single mothers get hosuing, benefits, smoke etc etc. But very little about how hard it is to bring up kids by themselves....

No he's not...

---------- Post added 20-02-2015 at 12:52 ----------

I don't see any one in that posts saying it's illegal..it's legal right up to the point that fraud comes into it..in the same way as tax avoidance is legal but tax evasion isn't..I assume that's the similarity Bonzo is trying to point out..

I never said anyone did..I asked the question. It isn't fraud to claim what you're entitled to, in the same way it isn't fraud to claim on your tax entitlement.

One is perceived as careful tax management, the other is perceived as scum.