Penistone Road!

autumn

Are they changing bus routes so more buses go down penistone rd? Have often been stuck in traffic, but not very often being made up of busses. Maybe langsett rd which has sort have become a bus lane lots of busses here( even has a bus station) ls being made Into a car lane ?! Think they have Missed a trick could have also allowed trams on the bus , bike , taxi lane on penistone rd, yes I know won't see many of those either ! Hay ho, maybe we will see a white elephant walking down it?

No, the bus lane will remain empty for most of the time, apart from taxi's and cycles of course.

I have to agree with you. I walked from Hillfoot Bridge to Parkside Road this afternoon and was passed by 5 buses in about 20 minutes, 2 number 53s, 2 79s and one of those H1 hospital buses.

I have to agree with you. I walked from Hillfoot Bridge to Parkside Road this afternoon and was passed by 5 buses in about 20 minutes, 2 number 53s, 2 79s and one of those H1 hospital buses.

that's quite a lot of buses in 20 minutes! And they'll all be able to travel without hindrance in the new bus lane.

One bus every 4 minutes is "quite a lot"?

Presumably in that times, several hundreds of cars had passed as well, carrying far more passengers than the 5 (probably nearly empty) buses.

Maybe they'll get fuller though? And its not like the new bus lane will hinder the cars in any way as there's still the same space for cars. I see your point though, it was a lot of money to spend for not a massive amount of gain and I do think it isn't that well thought out. Its not completely pointless though.

At the end of the day a new bridge needs putting in from clay wheels lane to middle wood road.

It would eliviate load from leppings lane and jawbone hill (thats its name not stupid cotes du oughtibridge, this is still england whats left of it). If any thing serious happens to one of those bridges then it will be gruesome.

It would stop traffic from sainsburieds crossing penistone road twice to go on leppings lane.

Increase business to sainsburieds as people would call in as passing and more customers would be attracted from north/east of the river.

Reduce congestion on leppings lane (bus stops and parked cars reduces it to one lane.

Reduce congestion on penistone road/herries road junction caused by vehicles backing up onto the junction and blocking it from constricted leppings lane.

Reduce congestion on four lanes junction.

Reduce traffic on jawbone hill.

Be a back up river crossing for when other crossings have to be closed

If some one wanted to be really clever they would use the railway bridge as a vehicular crossing when the once a day train isn't using it which i don't think is ever at busy traffic times. Traffic wanting to go right from claywheels would go over the bridge and off on a road off through kilner way on down penistone road never interfering with traffic zooming up penistone. Sure there would still have to be a junction for right turning traffic from claywheels but with a much reduced quantity of traffic the timings would be much more favorable.

At the other end the link road could come down along side win gardens pinching a bit of the sports field onto clay wheels and a new slip up onto the railway track (tarmacked level although driving over the the sleepers wouldn't be that much more bumpy than some of the potholed roads:roll:. Automated barriers to close it off 30mins before the train comes through to give plenty of clearance.

I agree with much of what you say, apart from using the rail bridge. If anything the planning laws should be (more importantly they should have been in the past....) more strict about banning development on trackbeds of closed railways. Many rail lines are now wanted for reopening but because of development on the trackbed it`s far too expensive or even impossible. At the very least they should only have allowed development (on any trackbeds) which could be relatively easily removed.

Edited by Justin Smith