Penistone Road!

autumn

Sorry but the maximum speed for a road is the designated speed limit for the road. If the speed limit is 30mph, you should be able to drive at 30mph if the conditions are suitable. Adding a speed bump is altering the speed limit of the road.

...and there lieth the problem.

The speed humps are put in place because some drivers do not realise (through lack of driving experience for example) that the conditions are unsuitable to drive at 30mph.

I live on a road (hill) where too vehicles have to pass at walking pace because our road is so narrow. There are no pavements on any side, so you have to edge your car bonnet out the drive by 3ft in to the road before you can know that it is clear to move off. However, one or two drivers lower down the hill come up in 3rd gear with foot down but will not be exceeding 30mph. It is however an accident waiting to happen.

Has anyone counted the amount of traffic lights at owlerton green now?

I remember my farther commenting on the amount of lights on penistone road about 30 years ago, he used to say he wished he had got shares in the company that made them. He would be well shocked if he saw it now and I would have had a great inheritance if he had.

---------- Post added 27-02-2015 at 08:11 ----------

Sorry but the maximum speed for a road is the designated speed limit for the road. If the speed limit is 30mph, you should be able to drive at 30mph if the conditions are suitable. Adding a speed bump is altering the speed limit of the road.

So you think the little bendy narrow country lanes with national speed limit of 60mph should be driveable at 60mph. I hope you don't drive.

There are no obstructions in the road themselves that make 60 impossible on such roads. Merely visibility, although there are often straight sections where 60 would be possible for a short time.

---------- Post added 27-02-2015 at 09:21 ----------

...and there lieth the problem.

The speed humps are put in place because some drivers do not realise (through lack of driving experience for example) that the conditions are unsuitable to drive at 30mph.

If the council believes this, then they should change the speed limit of course.

And it's not true either. There are many roads where most of the time it's entirely safe to do 30 mph, yet there are massive speed humps on them.

I live on a road (hill) where too vehicles have to pass at walking pace because our road is so narrow. There are no pavements on any side, so you have to edge your car bonnet out the drive by 3ft in to the road before you can know that it is clear to move off. However, one or two drivers lower down the hill come up in 3rd gear with foot down but will not be exceeding 30mph. It is however an accident waiting to happen.

Sounds like you need mirrors installing to give you better visibility.

There are no obstructions in the road themselves that make 60 impossible on such roads. Merely visibility, although there are often straight sections where 60 would be possible for a short time.

---------- Post added 27-02-2015 at 09:21 ----------

If the council believes this, then they should change the speed limit of course.

And it's not true either. There are many roads where most of the time it's entirely safe to do 30 mph, yet there are massive speed humps on them.

Sounds like you need mirrors installing to give you better visibility.

Re bib. And in many cases bends themselves that cannot be taken at 60 in normal cars.

Leave it as it is, it's much better this way

I travel along the A61 as part of my commute. Northbound in the morning and southbound in the afternoon. Although on the whole it has been a little worse for me since the roundabout went, and seemingly continuing to worsen, there are still plenty of roadworks going on (inc the current Parkside Road work) so it's hard to tell whether the junction is to blame. Oddly enough, going home yesterday and travelling to work this morning, the journeys were much better than over the last few weeks. I don't know whether that is down to some fine tuning of the lights, or just a bit of luck on my part.

Re bib. And in many cases bends themselves that cannot be taken at 60 in normal cars.

So you slow down for the bends. That's not the same as making a road with a 30 limit, damage cars that drive down it at that speed by putting in lumps.

If the limit is too high, reduce it.

So you slow down for the bends. That's not the same as making a road with a 30 limit, damage cars that drive down it at that speed by putting in lumps.

If the limit is too high, reduce it.

I don't like road humps, but they've come about because some drivers drive too fast for the conditions. I would prefer a lower the speed limit instead. But it is only recently that authorities are being allowed to bring in reduced speeds without the whole extra signage and traffic calming measures (which include speed humps) that were needed in the past. I would like them to try more 20 limits and no speed humps if that's what they are trying to achieve. However, some people will ignore the new limit (because they know it will not be enforced).

As I see it, the speed limit is just one of many factors that determines the correct speed on a road. There are also visibility, parked traffic, bends, slippery road surface, people crossing, etc etc. And we should drive to the lowest speed appropriate. If one of the other factors takes the safe speed to below the speed limit, then so be it. If the road has speed humps or large potholes, we should also factor these it when deciding our speed. The only issue then becomes whether or not we know about the hazard. For example, bends are easy to see and we can judge whether we have adequate vision around an obstruction. Potholes, and to a lesser extent humps can be harder to see. That is the issue in my opinion. In fact, provided the humps are clearly signed and/or visible, then there's not really a problem. Also, if potholes could be signed, then there would be no excuse for not slowing down to a suitable speed. (roadworks regularly warn of temporary raised ironworks, steps in the road surface etc, and isn't a problem when they do).

Well suprise suprise. The road next to the park isn't finished despite it being scheduled for the 27th. I should be surprised since they never had more than a couple of men working on it.

Match day tomorrow is going to get interesting. I don't see how they can close Leppings Lane for coaches, as it stands.

Well suprise suprise. The road next to the park isn't finished despite it being scheduled for the 27th. I should be surprised since they never had more than a couple of men working on it.

Match day tomorrow is going to get interesting. I don't see how they can close Leppings Lane for coaches, as it stands.

I'd expect there to be a fair few coaches tomorrow as well; Middlesbrough always have a big following. There'll also be no way of accessing Hillsborough park car park from Penistone Road which will make matters worse. If anyone is planning to drive around there tomorrow afternoon, be prepared for chaos :rolleyes: