20 million on the breadline in Britain

If there is poverty in this county its down to there own fault. I went to South Africa a few years ago and I saw poverty there people living in shacks next to open sewers,we don't have nothing like that here we have a good standard of living in this country.

Yeah right!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2674921/Welcome-Shanty-Town-Britain-Desperate-Britons-paying-20-week-landlords-renting-beds-sheds-UKs-housing-crisis-spirals.html

And for those who prefer the non tabloid version, try this:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jul/01/beds-in-sheds-real-victims-housing-crisis-rent

Lets hope so for all our sakes!...............the alternative is too awful to contemplate!

By the way! .... poverty does not exist in UK these days, only perceived poverty! We have come a long way from real poverty.

Poverty does exist. You're telling lies.

---------- Post added 22-02-2015 at 16:06 ----------

If one cannot afford to take their children on a summer holiday. This is perceived poverty.

No it's not.

---------- Post added 22-02-2015 at 16:06 ----------

Yes or if we cannot have sky or virgin and have to settle for freeview thats percieved poverty.

No it's not.

Very simple that one.

A: http://humanitarian.worldconcern.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Dhaka-slum-1024x689.jpg

B: http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pixies/2009/3/17/1237327875546/A-portrait-of-21st-centur-001.jpg

A is real poverty. People living in destitution with literally nothing. Many starving. Unable to access clean water.

B is what is laughingly described as "21st centaury poverty" Yeah right. Poverty is NOT living on a low income. Poverty is NOT having a roof over your head, tv, furnishings, food in the fridge and a basic standard of living paid for or subsidised by the state.

With respect to the OP and the Article from Labour's Press Office errm, I mean the Daily Mirror. I can only say that its the biggest load of horse crap I have ever seen. On the breadline? The people doing this study and the linked morons who seemingly have redefined what a basic human need is, don't even know the meaning of the word.

When there's a world of wealth in the UK, and the economy is growing. Poverty is having to visit food banks because you can't afford food. It's not being able to afford clothes for your children.

If you don't think this exists in the UK, then you need to wake up!

These are most likely economic and or illegal immigrants and their offspring who have come to the UK to make a better life for themselves. Imagine the true poverty they have come from.

You back from the pub already?

Back from teaching my son to swim, actually?

Did you enjoy your visit to the brothel last night? How's the STD? Still irritating your privates?

---------- Post added 22-02-2015 at 16:13 ----------

Exactly - scaremongering garbage, trying to encourage people to vote for the political party which nearly bankrupted this country and given more time, would have probably taken us over the edge.

Same as the immigration scaremongering. Don't believe everything you read.

These are most likely economic and or illegal immigrants and their offspring who have come to the UK to make a better life for themselves. Imagine the true poverty they have come from.

Do you know the cost of private rented accommodation in London?

Try living and renting even one room in London.

How much does it cost to rent one room in Sheffield?

It is always a surprise, but never a shock, when I read the same cringing defenders of millionaires and their shabby tax antics elsewhere on the forum join threads about the desperate plight of the poor, the sick and the marginalised as if there was no such thing as distress, or nothing that we should be concerned about as essential services are underfunded or support for those in desperate need is cut.

It is always a surprise, but never a shock, when I read the same cringing defenders of millionaires and their shabby tax antics elsewhere on the forum join threads about the desperate plight of the poor, the sick and the marginalised as if there was no such thing as distress, or nothing that we should be concerned about as essential services are underfunded or support for those in desperate need is cut.

Totally! Usual suspects turn up and pretend that everything's ok. Moan about people on benefits and stick up for tax dodging, lazy, millionaires. Talk about tax avoidance being legal, yet get angry when people sponge from the tax payer on the opposite end of the scale! Hypocritical or what?

Back from teaching my son to swim, actually?

Did you enjoy your visit to the brothel last night? How's the STD?

---------- Post added 22-02-2015 at 16:13 ----------

[/color]

Same as the immigration scaremongering. Don't believe everything you read.

"Did you enjoy your visit to the brothel last night?".............you were there also?

"Hows the STD, still irritating your privates'?

Well you seem very knowledgeable about that subject sunshine!

Edited by Oh Carol