20 million on the breadline in Britain

Can you define "equality"?

I can do more than that, I can recommend a fascinating book that will help people to appreciate the value to be gained for all of us by developing a more equal society - Kate Pickett and Richard Wilkinson's The Spirit Level (published in Penguin paperback)!

I can do more than that, I can recommend a fascinating book that will help people to appreciate the value to be gained for all of us by developing a more equal society - Kate Pickett and Richard Wilkinson's The Spirit Level (published in Penguin paperback)!

What did you mean by "equality" in the post of yours I quoted?

I wondered what Staunton meant... it's a word that's bandied about a lot but seems difficult to tie a description onto..

There's equality before the law and there's the Equal Pay Act they are 2 fairly concrete examples of equality. There's other aspects to equality like service provision in the NHS for example; or the idea that people should have an equal chance at securing a job....Or sometimes politicians talk about 'fairness' which is an elastic term that's a bit of a catch all

Those who disseminate right-wing ideology will routinely reject any call for equality, preferring 'equality of opportunity' (just as long as they can keep all those opportunities for themselves).
Are all people equal?

Or is it just possible that some people are better than others?

No..just want to know what you meant by "equality"...if you want there to be more of a thing then at least let us know what it is...

Anyone who is truly interested in this question should take a look at Pickett and Wilkinson's book.

Or:

Danny Dorling's Inequality and the 1% (Verso paperback).

Both are highly readable and very informative on the theme of equality.

Anyone who is truly interested in this question should take a look at Pickett and Wilkinson's book.

Or:

Danny Dorling's Inequality and the 1% (Verso paperback).

Both are highly readable and very informative on the theme of equality.

You can't expect everyone to read a book to find out what you mean by one word... I don't think you know yourself what you mean...