20 million on the breadline in Britain

You can't expect everyone to read a book to find out what you mean by one word... I don't think you know yourself what you mean...

I hope people do. Understanding our interests doesn't necessarily come easily. We sometimes need to engage in a little bit of reading and reflection in order to make sense of political themes.

More keen to work, more law-abiding, more intelligent, more likely to contribute to society.

You know - good people, rather than scrotes.

That's a very narrow definition of 'better'. I'll bow to your superior knowledge of scrotes.

In the context of this discussion about equality, do you think that Prince Andrew, Edward would have achieved the position they hold in society had they not been members of the royal family? Or that we have surgeons, engineers, artists and others who have come from poor backgrounds, but who have come from backgrounds you wouldn't think are very promising.

Hopefully that will in time change, and having kids when not in employment will just result in starvation and the gene pool being protected.

---------- Post added 22-02-2015 at 18:53 ----------

Agreed.

But there are plenty of people who have no intention of ever lifting a finger to do an honest day's work, so will never pay income tax.

Or that there are plenty of people who have sacrificed their own careers to have families, or don't pay income tax because they are carers, or volunteers often acting as the glue that holds society together and saves the country a fortune.

There are those that work, but have no intention of paying any tax, and by hook or by crook will dodge it.

That's a very narrow definition of 'better'. I'll bow to your superior knowledge of scrotes.

In the context of this discussion about equality, do you think that Prince Andrew, Edward would have achieved the position they hold in society had they not been members of the royal family? Or that we have surgeons, engineers, artists and others who have come from poor backgrounds, but who have come from backgrounds you wouldn't think are very promising.

---------- Post added 22-02-2015 at 18:53 ----------

Or that there are plenty of people who have sacrificed their own careers to have families, or don't pay income tax because they are carers, or volunteers often acting as the glue that holds society together and saves the country a fortune.

There are those that work, but have no intention of paying any tax, and by hook or by crook will dodge it.

The people who do well from humble beginnings are to be congratulated, they show they are not scrotes - but please, don't group distinguished essential professions like medicine and engineering with nonsense like art and those who call themselves 'artists'.

Agreed.

But there are plenty of people who have no intention of ever lifting a finger to do an honest day's work, so will never pay income tax.

I don't doubt that there are such people, but I get the sense that most folk want to work and are happier when they have a job and a reasonable level of income - enough to get by and a little left over for an espresso now and then, even a holiday sometimes.