What is Messy Church?

Snailboy we have talked about this on other threads I don't wish to go over old ground

It wasn't God who raped the children it was a man !!! and it should not have been covered up.

As for gay people etc , we should love them where they are at , the golden rule is treat others as you would wish to be treated.we shouldn't judge other peoples lives we should love them !!

Where did I say that your god raped the children?

Sorry, but this is all just one sided, just because you don't like religion. I'm an Atheist, but I have the common sense to realise that religion can have a profoundly positive effect on some people. Why would you not want to pass that onto your kids?
Just because it has a profound effect on one person, does not mean that it will have the same effect (or even a positive effect at all) on his/her child. By passing irrational beliefs and dogmas on, you are interfering in a child's development in a way that may or may not be beneficial.

There are many ways it could affect the child. One of the problems with religion is that it is open to interpretation, the child may choose to accept the parent's interpretation or may interpret things for themselves (for better or worse). If someone has developed to accept such irrational beliefs as supernatural beings and magical feats being performed, people coming back from the dead, other acts defying the laws of physics, it could affect their judgement in other matters, it can also make people more vulnerable to deception and people taking advantage of them. Worse than this, it can lead to them rejecting fact and evidence.

It can also backfire on the parent. In extreme cases, the child may grow up and apply critical thinking to what the parent has always taught them, realising that there's no reason or evidence behind the teachings and decide that the parent has been lying throughout the offspring's childhood.

You talk about religion being irrational, that's your opinion. Religion can do the opposite for some people. Take a drug addict that reforms thanks to spirituality. Would you say finding spiritually is as irrational as addiction?

No, I don't talk about religion being irrational, I've been talking about irrational beliefs. I use the word irrational because by definition that's what they are, it's not just my opinion.

Addiction is not something that rationality applies to, there is no thought process involved in addiction. Supernatural beliefs (as already mentioned) are irrational, by definition.

I used to think like you. I used to hate religion.

I used to think like you. I used to make assumptions about people.

I don't hate religion, I don't hate anything. I'd be interested to hear what led you to this conclusion about me.

Where did I say that your god raped the children?

It was implied because you made a comment ! I was merely pointing out those were wrong acts of sin , which God dislikes however this is detracting from what the original poster wanted as usual you enjoy a debarkle !

It was implied because you made a comment ! I was merely pointing out those were wrong acts of sin , which God dislikes however this is detracting from what the original poster wanted as usual you enjoy a debarkle !

Implied?

I said Catholic priests raped the children.

Just because it has a profound effect on one person, does not mean that it will have the same effect (or even a positive effect at all) on his/her child. By passing irrational beliefs and dogmas on, you are interfering in a child's development in a way that may or may not be beneficial.

There are many ways it could affect the child. One of the problems with religion is that it is open to interpretation, the child may choose to accept the parent's interpretation or may interpret things for themselves (for better or worse). If someone has developed to accept such irrational beliefs as supernatural beings and magical feats being performed, people coming back from the dead, other acts defying the laws of physics, it could affect their judgement in other matters, it can also make people more vulnerable to deception and people taking advantage of them. Worse than this, it can lead to them rejecting fact and evidence.

It can also backfire on the parent. In extreme cases, the child may grow up and apply critical thinking to what the parent has always taught them, realising that there's no reason or evidence behind the teachings and decide that the parent has been lying throughout the offspring's childhood.

No, I don't talk about religion being irrational, I've been talking about irrational beliefs. I use the word irrational because by definition that's what they are, it's not just my opinion.

Addiction is not something that rationality applies to, there is no thought process involved in addiction. Supernatural beliefs (as already mentioned) are irrational, by definition.

I used to think like you. I used to make assumptions about people.

I don't hate religion, I don't hate anything. I'd be interested to hear what led you to this conclusion about me.

Why do you think religion is irrational and why do you think you are correct?