What is Messy Church?

In your opinion, which part of "A system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object" suggests that Church isn't a good place?

its the bit about odd practices and there is nothing odd about worshipping God

its the bit about odd practices and there is nothing odd about worshipping God

No, I think you misunderstand. Dictionaries usually list more than one definition of a word, I highlighted the one which applies to Church...

"A system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object"

But now that you mention it yes, to many people the thought of worshipping a god is odd.

Edited by RootsBooster

Telling people about the fact that they can know God personally and encouraging faith isn't wrong ! Other faiths do require good works to get into heaven , Jesus gave us the way without works !

Why shouldn't children be a part of church , In my day church was stand up sit down etc. and was not attractive to children , thankfully That didn't put me off ,I have my own faith and attend a church , i have done since being six weeks old . I had a lovely childhood with loads of friends who are still in my life , we are family

No you don't, you have a faith followed by many..it isn't yours, you were indoctrinated into one that already existed and existed before you were indoctrinated, even born. Without indoctrination you wouldn't have a faith belief. You would still be able to carry out the good works you do without one though..as many do, without a cloud fairy.

No you don't, you have a faith followed by many..it isn't yours, you were indoctrinated into one that already existed and existed before you were indoctrinated, even born. Without indoctrination you wouldn't have a faith belief. You would still be able to carry out the good works you do without one though..as many do, without a cloud fairy.

I knew both people of faith and without faith , I chose myself to be a christian as did my parents .

What a coincidence. It's weird how children tend to 'choose' the religion of their parents.

My sister was adopted into a Jewish family who weren't practising at all they didn't know what church was like , she became a Christian because she searched for a church as she knew it was the right choice for her at an early age and long before we met !! She made a commitment to God and has never looked back

My sister was adopted into a Jewish family who weren't practising at all they didn't know what church was like , she became a Christian because she searched for a church as she knew it was the right choice for her at an early age and long before we met !! She made a commitment to God and has never looked back

Did she happen to go to a Christian school?

Did she happen to go to a Christian school?

No she went to a local school in the south of england and when she told her family she wanted to go to church they didnt know anything of what she was asking ! She never heard of |Christianity but at the age of 10 she knew that the Synagogue wasnt the place for her but she wanted to go to church.

I was looking for new career opportunities a while back. One of the websites had a link sending me to a charity which provided various services/relief in a number of impoverished areas of the world. I couldn't apply to work there because I 100% failed on one essential requirement.

The job required me to be a committed Christian. So apparently, only a Christian could provide the aid and relieve suffering.

I wonder why that could be?