Candow street wwii

mrayuk

It's interesting to see the map, and also the photos. They are dated 1966; it seems that Candow Street was demolished a few years later in c. 1973. I was intrigued by the name of the street (Candow is a Scottish surname) and even more intrigued by a note in the late Peter Harvey's book "Street Names of Sheffield". The street was evidently named after "Walter John Candow, property speculator, estate agent, brickmaker, and president of several local building societies, who eventually over-reached himself and left town mysteriously with debts of £6,000". The son of a Highfield toolmaker, the wayward Walter can be found in census returns up to 1881 (living in up-market Cherry Tree Road) after which he vanishes..;)

• 7 months later...

I know it is sometime since this was posted but hopefully you might see this mrayuk.

Azy was my Great Grandmother's brother and I have been in touch with Azy's daughter in the past. I have done a fair amount of family research on the Smiths.

Does anyone have any other contact details for mrayuk?

Hi Quake.....I was floored to hear from you today and I wrote you a long reply about the story of the Smith family and my father-in-law, Justino Polidori who was a prisoner of war in WWII. He befriended the Smith family and especially Azi and Martha. I have all of his letters from Azi to him. I have been on a quest to find Martha and what happened to her. Any help you can give would be wonderful. My email is mrayuk@hotmail.com. I can send you my phone number when I hear back from you. Marilyn Ray

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...