46 pubs closed in Sheffield since 2010

taxman

The Star is reporting it as "Last orders for Sheffield's local pubs?"

Forty-six pubs have shut down across the city – mostly to make way for convenience stores and apartments.

The closures leave Sheffield with 383 pubs still open.

Darnall has been the worst hit community in the city after losing nine pubs.

The more in depth story is here.

"Dr Tim Stillman, co-director of Sheffield Brewery, said shifting demographics could explain some of the changes – but also laid blame at the door of big pub firms. He said: “As a former local Real Ale guide editor I’m appalled by the loss of our true local pubs, I know of at least 50 that I have drank in and are sadly no more.

“Some pubs will inevitably go by the wayside where they were once at the centre of thriving industry and are now isolated or now at the centre of ethnic community who simply do not drink.

“Pubs are often sold to developers for conversion to flats or supermarkets or completely demolished as new build sites.

“Often restrictive covenants are placed on these pubs to stop local residents or entrepreneurs keeping them open as pubs.

“Perhaps city planners need to look at this.”"

I wonder how many of these pubs were owned by Punch Taverns or Enterprise Inns. They price out managers and lease holders by charging stupid rents, charging stupid amounts for beer and supplies.

The pub co's want them to fail as there is a big demand from developers for the buildings.

The Star is reporting it as "Last orders for Sheffield's local pubs?"

Forty-six pubs have shut down across the city – mostly to make way for convenience stores and apartments.

The closures leave Sheffield with 383 pubs still open.

Darnall has been the worst hit community in the city after losing nine pubs.

The more in depth story is here.

"Dr Tim Stillman, co-director of Sheffield Brewery, said shifting demographics could explain some of the changes – but also laid blame at the door of big pub firms. He said: “As a former local Real Ale guide editor I’m appalled by the loss of our true local pubs, I know of at least 50 that I have drank in and are sadly no more.

“Some pubs will inevitably go by the wayside where they were once at the centre of thriving industry and are now isolated or now at the centre of ethnic community who simply do not drink.

“Pubs are often sold to developers for conversion to flats or supermarkets or completely demolished as new build sites.

“Often restrictive covenants are placed on these pubs to stop local residents or entrepreneurs keeping them open as pubs.

“Perhaps city planners need to look at this.”"

I dont think manny folk in Darnal drink alcohol.

I know Marstons are off loading a lot of pubs in Chesterfield many been sold to retail groups . I suspect Sheffield will see more pubs close its really sad given the fact many have been open since the 1800s . Tax together with Pubco rents have killed it plus a social change in society.

Tax together with Pubco rents have killed it plus a social change in society.

I think changes in society have far more to do with it. Pubs doing something different have done quite well over recent years.

I live in Walkley and the standard local pubs offering one beer and lager in tired surroundings have generally closed. There's a lot more entertainment options than 40 years ago and less need for a "front room" local down the road.

Whereaas pubs making an effort are doing well - the Blake has good business going for a real ale crowd as well as locals, and down in Crookesmoor, the Hallamshire & Closed shop are both doing good business with decent beers in nice surroundings