Budget wedding cake maker

My son is getting married in July and he wants a 12 inch and 14 inch sponge wedding cake his budget is £200 pounds he wants one with a traditional bride and groom on top the other one he wants a man and woman sat on a bench outside a pub on top ,don't know if any one can do this but please let me know if you can xx

Marks & Spencer sell decorated and undecorated cake. Not sure what you mean about the bride and groom. Do you mean run out ie flat decorations or bride and groom figures stand on top of the cake? look on Etsy.com if you want bespoke figures made to stand on the cake. This won't be a cheap option though.

Sounds a little unusual to have two very similar cakes decorated in different styles.

For two cakes with custom toppers £200 is going to be a push. Maybe they would settle for one cake? Anything with a lot of detail is going to cost more (fiddly bits).

Not a cake decorator myself but have made a few birthday/Christmas cakes and even a "simple" 3D design can take an age to get right.

Its the topper that is going to be expensive, sponge cakes aren't expensive at M&S.

In my day all cake bride and groom toppers were tacky plastic things. We bought a nice ornament (Nao) to sit on top of our cake. Ask your son to look for an ornament to stand on top of the cake. I presume he has seen something which inspired his /their choice. It will be weighty though if he wants a pub backdrop as well as the bride and groom. Sponge cakes cake take a lot of weight unless you put dowels through the cake.

• 1 month later...
My son is getting married in July and he wants a 12 inch and 14 inch sponge wedding cake his budget is £200 pounds he wants one with a traditional bride and groom on top the other one he wants a man and woman sat on a bench outside a pub on top ,don't know if any one can do this but please let me know if you can xx

If you are still looking we may be able to help, we are a small bakery on ecclesall road called poppies Bakehouse, unfortunately it will not let me post a link, however if you google us you will find our contact details.

Many Thanks