Diesel car owners winter MPG

Yep, a few people on the Peugeot forums use 2 stroke and there's been a long running experiment on it. It all seems quite positive

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/307-38/2-stroke-29369/

As for my diesel (a 2003 Pug 307 2L 90bhp) I find I'm getting around 500 miles out of a full tank, compared to 550+ in Summer.

Yep, a few people on the Peugeot forums use 2 stroke and there's been a long running experiment on it. It all seems quite positive

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/307-38/2-stroke-29369/

As for my diesel (a 2003 Pug 307 2L 90bhp) I find I'm getting around 500 miles out of a full tank, compared to 550+ in Summer.

My Bold

Thanks alchresearch thats about same as me, i have been reading some very tecky stuff on the web why this happens, it nothing to do with having heaters etc on more in winter, its all to do with how the 'Heavy oil' is used in the engine in less than optimum conditions i.e cooler.

Also, the engine oil is thicker at very low temps, the radiator water is colder as is the engine block itself all of which needs extra warming up.

Tyres also lose pressure due to the colder air which can increase rolling resistance, as can different tread patterns on various makes.

These of course only explain warm-up instances, long-run mpg might be due to the factors already mentioned.

Edited by carosio

Also, the engine oil is thicker at very low temps, the radiator water is colder as is the engine block itself all of which needs extra warming up.

Tyres also lose pressure due to the colder air which can increase rolling resistance, as can different tread patterns on various makes.

That also apply to petrol engines as well with no significant difference,

I have not very fond memories of diesel being affected by cold winter weather,in the 80s I was driving across Ladybower bridge in the early hours in my job as driversalesman for Fletchers.My engine spluttered to a halt halfway over,we phoned the mechanic dept.,two hours later they turned up,all the wagons in our fleet of 45 had conked with frozen waxed up diesel.I was rescued by the mechanic

cleaning the filter out and pouring a gallon of petrol in with the diesel,This got me going on my way.Later all the filters were moved close to the engine block eliminating the waxing problems.

(2lt diesel turbo)

I would say that an engine at normal operating temperature is always going to be more efficient (fuel consumption) as well as general perfomance. If I relate that I observed that driving 11 miles with an outside temp displayed on the dash of 4 degrees, and the "normal" operating temp had still not been reached (perhaps until 13 miles). I do not suspect any thermostat issues. At about 8/10 degrees the engine is up to normal temp at about 5 miles (and I try not to exceed 50mph until it is at normal temp-I don`t push a cold engine).

As mentioned, the block is very cold and so too the water. The oil is thicker. I would guess a petrol engine also would indeed be less efficent in winter than it is in summer.