Diesel car owners winter MPG

I have not very fond memories of diesel being affected by cold winter weather,in the 80s I was driving across Ladybower bridge in the early hours in my job as driversalesman for Fletchers.My engine spluttered to a halt halfway over,we phoned the mechanic dept.,two hours later they turned up,all the wagons in our fleet of 45 had conked with frozen waxed up diesel.I was rescued by the mechanic

cleaning the filter out and pouring a gallon of petrol in with the diesel,This got me going on my way.Later all the filters were moved close to the engine block eliminating the waxing problems.

Hi old tup

it was probably about then i can remember the entire sheffiel bus service was off the road due to frozen diesel, i dont think things like that happen now.

I have even learned that diesel in the pumps is different in winter than summer, which i must admit i did not know.

What proportion did you use, it's very expensive stuff so I'd be surprised if you gained much?

1 in 200 ratio is the sweet spot usually, it's not so much for increased mpg as it is to lubricate the pump and injectors, get slightly quieter running and stuff.

I don't disagree with whats been said.

But,

Formula 1 cars go faster when the temperature drops even by small amounts. The reason is that more cooler dense air can enter the cylinder and therefore expand more when the mixture ignites giving more power.

I've noticed that my petrol Corolla has more 'pep' on cold frosty mornings.

I don't disagree with whats been said.

But,

Formula 1 cars go faster when the temperature drops even by small amounts. The reason is that more cooler dense air can enter the cylinder and therefore expand more when the mixture ignites giving more power.

I've noticed that my petrol Corolla has more 'pep' on cold frosty mornings.

And damp, foggy mornings as the water vapour apparently aids combustion.

1 in 200 ratio is the sweet spot usually, it's not so much for increased mpg as it is to lubricate the pump and injectors, get slightly quieter running and stuff.

Millers do an additive for diesel engines that performs a similar effect and also improves M.P.G.