Fed-up with benefit program's on TV

Indeed. Public sector jobs, which help swell Union and therefore Labour Party membership. That's a happy coincidence.

Lol not everyone in the civil service is in PCS (Our Union) and not everyone who is in the civil service and in PCS is a Labour Party member. That really is quite a sweeping an incorrect statement

Lol not everyone in the civil service is in PCS (Our Union) and not everyone who is in the civil service and in PCS is a Labour Party member. That really is quite a sweeping an incorrect statement

So nobody who works within tax credits is a union or Labour Party member? I never said all and as such I think my statement was quite correct.

So nobody who works within tax credits is a union or Labour Party member? I never said all and as such I think my statement was quite correct.

I am sure there are some that are but out of a total civil service of 440,000 posts and dropping only 240,000 are Union members. How many are in the Labour Party? Dunno but I do know tisn't 240,000. How many are members of any other political party? Dunno but I do know some are.

---------- Post added 21-06-2015 at 15:40 ----------

How many work for HMRC that are in both ? - not something that's collected.

Define decent wage.

I can understand small companies paying staff a minimum wage but there is absolutely no reason why large companies such as supermarkets cannot pay more than the minimum wage or living wage especially if in London. After all they make enough profits.

A decent wage is one that you can live on without having to rely on state handouts to make up the difference between what you earn to what you actually need to live. Not living extravagantly but to pay your rent, utilities, clothing (not designer) and food.

I can understand small companies paying staff a minimum wage but there is absolutely no reason why large companies such as supermarkets cannot pay more than the minimum wage or living wage especially if in London. After all they make enough profits.

What do you think the other costs are for tesco in London are? Imagine the rent and/or business rates - they will be horrific. The cost for a tin of beans is a relative constant I suspect where ever.

And a lot of supermarkets aren't making enough profits.

But what if you aren't on a 40 hour week? What about those who do 20 hour weeks? Tax credits are for those aren't they?

What do you think the other costs are for tesco in London are? Imagine the rent and/or business rates - they will be horrific. The cost for a tin of beans is a relative constant I suspect where ever.

And a lot of supermarkets aren't making enough profits.

But what if you aren't on a 40 hour week? What about those who do 20 hour weeks? Tax credits are for those aren't they?

Once they all move to Universal Credit anyone working less than full time will be given a Claimant Commitment (They already exist) which basically the idea behind is to get them to either work more hours or find another (extra) job if needs be to stop them claiming Tax Credits. It's by far the largest proportion of the welfare bill and most of those claiming them are working, quite a few full time but not being adequately paid.

Once they all move to Universal Credit anyone working less than full time will be given a Claimant Commitment (They already exist) which basically the idea behind is to get them to either work more hours or find another (extra) job if needs be to stop them claiming Tax Credits. It's by far the largest proportion of the welfare bill and most of those claiming them are working, quite a few full time but not being adequately paid.

But suppose the part-timers can't find another job, especially in depressed areas, does that mean UC will only allow people to claim tax credits for a set period?

But suppose the part-timers can't find another job, especially in depressed areas, does that mean UC will only allow people to claim tax credits for a set period?

Don't know to be honest cos not (thankfully) involved n it from an operational point of view. I quite agree with you tho. What to people with kids do when say one parent is on the nightshift and the other has to work part-time around that to get kids to school and back, may not be able to afford childcare etc etc.

However this will have the same sort of conditionality applied as say JSA as I understand it. There are also budgeting issues which some families wil struggle with. Housing Benefit currently is paid direct to the council. Under UC it's paid to you and it's up to you to pay your rent. Bear in mind that you are going to be paid monthly, some will really struggle with this. Some already have and got into rent arrears etc.

---------- Post added 21-06-2015 at 19:00 ----------

You sign off JSA cos you got a job Hoorah and you think Thank God! and then well erm you need to work more hours/get a better paid job because you're getting tax credits and we need to get you off those.

---------- Post added 21-06-2015 at 19:01 ----------

Oh and you won;t get a State Pension when you;re 65. 68 and potentially will rise but you can work all hours til you drop surely?

Not often I agree with a Tory PM twice in less than a month but for the second time in 3 weeks and 1 day Cameron has said something pretty sensible:

http://news.sky.com/story/1506165/pm-tax-credits-merry-go-round-must-end

Is this the end of the 16hr working week topped up with tax credits scam?

Millions of working families use this scam, getting themselves into 16hr a week jobs or pretending to be self-employed so they can top up on tax credits.

Looks like the party is over.