Fed-up with benefit program's on TV

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on a lot here.

OK :)

Remember the riots? Someone went to prison for stealing a bottle of water!

Not one banker went to prison.

You asked a question which I responded to at beginning of #52.

What is your take on that?

If you work in the private sector, then I would be surprised.

If you worked with 9 other people in a sales job with a basic wage, and you sold £1000 of supplies a week, and the other 9 sold nothing, then if you tell me that you wouldn't feel pee'd off then I simply wouldn't believe you if you told me that you would be happy taking the same wage as them.

I wouldn't consider working for any commission job no more than a nurse or teacher in a non private sector job.

I think a lot of these programmes about benefits and the people that rely on them are degrading, and are about entertainment, and not about informing the debate or enriching the national culture....I'm beginning to think it's about distorting the debate.....

I remember reading about this a while ago (which made the case that much of the public debate about benefits are based on untruths fed to the public by the media)http://opinion.publicfinance.co.uk/2013/01/fact-and-fiction-on-welfare-spending/

I wouldn't consider working for any commission job

Good that you can be so picky :)

...but still doesn't answer the point you made. Should they all get the same in my example?

I remember reading about this a while ago (which made the case that much of the public debate about benefits are based on untruths fed to the public by the media)http://opinion.publicfinance.co.uk/2013/01/fact-and-fiction-on-welfare-spending/

Is this website politically motivated? It looks very Guardian-esque.

See this line here:

Widespread tabloid coverage of benefit fraud has also led people to believe that 27 per cent of the welfare budget is claimed fraudulently, while the government’s own figure is only 0.7 per cent.

Of all these trash programmes, the ones I've seen haven't shown anything of the sort. These programmes don't show much of fraudulently claimed benefit, they just show people who have become accustomed to living off benefits.

2 clearly different things.

The same people write the same things in here. Mixing up people who claim the benefits they're entitled to, with people who fiddle the system.

If you work in the private sector, then I would be surprised.

If you worked with 9 other people in a sales job with a basic wage, and you sold £1000 of supplies a week, and the other 9 sold nothing, then if you tell me that you wouldn't feel pee'd off then I simply wouldn't believe you if you told me that you would be happy taking the same wage as them.

Here's my take on this.

If the other person sold £1,000 of supplies, that that person has done a fantastic job and deserves a bonus.

The bonus culture at banks is very different. Maybe not for the average staff member slaving away to hit their targets, but at the top it is. They get paid vastly disproportionate bonuses to the rest of the staff, and they get paid it no matter what.

Here's my take on this.

If the other person sold £1,000 of supplies, that that person has done a fantastic job and deserves a bonus.

poppet doesn't see that it seems.

If he owned a company and didn't pay a bonus for this person, they would most likely leave, and end up with 9 unproductive staff.

The argument I see in here all the time, is 'so what, sod em, let them go somewhere else'.

Here's my take on this.

The bonus culture at banks is very different. Maybe not for the average staff member slaving away to hit their targets, but at the top it is. They get paid vastly disproportionate bonuses to the rest of the staff, and they get paid it no matter what.

It is different, and I won't defend this. It's most likely that these things are written into contracts. I would choose not the use a bank that I had knowledge of practices that I don't like.

poppet doesn't see that it seems.

If he owned a company and didn't pay a bonus for this person, they would most likely leave, and end up with 9 unproductive staff.

The argument I see in here all the time, is 'so what, sod em, let them go somewhere else'.

It is different, and I won't defend this. It's most likely that these things are written into contracts. I would choose not the use a bank that I had knowledge of practices that I don't like.

My wife worked in a sales role for 10 years with no bonuses and only a couple of pay rises that she had to beg for. People still work hard without the bonus culture.

To be honest, I wouldn't lose any sleep if the government cracked down on the banks and massive corporations, forcing them to leave the UK. It might cause a few waves in the economy for a while, but we'd get by. There's plenty of smaller more ethical businesses that are ready to take their place.

Good that you can be so picky :)

...but still doesn't answer the point you made. Should they all get the same in my example?

Is this website politically motivated? It looks very Guardian-esque.

See this line here:

Of all these trash programmes, the ones I've seen haven't shown anything of the sort. These programmes don't show much of fraudulently claimed benefit, they just show people who have become accustomed to living off benefits.

2 clearly different things.

The same people write the same things in here. Mixing up people who claim the benefits they're entitled to, with people who fiddle the system.

The story made the Independent as well. All I want is rounded, and fair balanced news and current affairs that doesn't pander to people's prejudices