Fatal Lorry crash Penistone Road 1947

Hi.

Anybody know anything about a lorry crash on Penistone Road 17th February 1947. The lorry hit a tram standard and the passenger was killed, fractured skull and brain damage. Chap called John Henry HARTILL ??

I would like to source some kind of local record relating to this, I have the death certificate confirming the above but would like to have a newspaper article or similar.

Cheers Rob

Take a trip to the local history part of central library in town.

They have all local newspapers on microfilm - you have the date of the incident so all reports and probably the inquest reports will be there.

Good luck.

Hi Daven, thanks again for taking the time to look into this chap. I have that info, its my site. I collect to local chaps and try to piece together as much info as I can about them. Usually via Ancestry and picture Sheffield. Generally it is mainly the military career but this chap has opened unusual avenues of research for me. Local studies library is closed for refurb until beginning of March so I will get myself down there. It will be interesting as I have no prior knowledge of the file you mentioned and hope to find a news article.

I will let you know how I get on when I have been.

Thanks again Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I managed to find a small report of this crash in the Sheffield Telegraph dated 18.02.1947, the day after the crash. This states that a car crashed into a shop and the passenger Frank HARTILL of Attercliffe Common was killed. Bit odd as his name was John Henry HARTILL of Attercliffe Common and the death certificate says it was a lorry that hit a tram standard.

Bit of miss reporting perhaps. :huh:

Rob