Vigilante Cyclist. Is he the most hated man?

Is he right to do this?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is he right to do this?

• YES; He is doing a good job, and should be commended.
    • NO; He is just being a pillock and probably jumps red lights when no-one is looking.
    • NONE OF THE ABOVE; He is just annoying and probably single.

As a leisure cyclist (mountain and road) I'd never go on the pavement, there are far too many obstructions, obstacles or other dangers - such as having to stop when crossing junctions.

For many situations I would agree, but in the semi rural situations, usually with higher speed limits, there are usually fewer junctions, driveways etc. It should be horses for courses IMO. If the conditions make pavement cycling safer and easier for some, then why not consider allowing it. where there is minimal inconvenience to others.

In the city centre, at particularly busy sections, roundabouts like brookhouse, or complicated junctions, it might well be safer for most cyclists to use the pavement.

I wouldn't want to do it on a decent stretch of road though, as you say, too many interruptions, giving way at every side street, etc...

---------- Post added 27-02-2015 at 12:23 ----------

Cycles are road vehicles and should only ever be on the roads. They should never have been allowed on pavements or footpaths. Just because a transport minister says it's alright doesn't mean it's alright, it means the transport minister got it wrong.

Lol.

They are of course NOT motor vehicles and are allowed on bridleways, in parks, and on right to roam land.

He didn't get it wrong though, he made a deliberate statement (repeating one made by the previous minister I believe). What they haven't done though, is actually change the law, which is a shame.

---------- Post added 27-02-2015 at 12:24 ----------

Bearing in mind that it a £50 fine I would say it is valid.

I would like to think that officers could discriminate between safe, sensible riders on a footpath and a rider being irresponsible.

You'd hope so, because the Police when riding mountain bikes often do so on the pavement... What's good for the goose, etc...

In the city centre, at particularly busy sections, roundabouts like brookhouse, or complicated junctions, it might well be safer for most cyclists to use the pavement.

I wouldn't want to do it on a decent stretch of road though, as you say, too many interruptions, giving way at every side street, etc...

---------- Post added 27-02-2015 at 12:23 ----------

Lol.

They are of course NOT motor vehicles and are allowed on bridleways, in parks, and on right to roam land.

He didn't get it wrong though, he made a deliberate statement (repeating one made by the previous minister I believe). What they haven't done though, is actually change the law, which is a shame.

---------- Post added 27-02-2015 at 12:24 ----------

You'd hope so, because the Police when riding mountain bikes often do so on the pavement... What's good for the goose, etc...

They also drive at 100mph on the motorway..can we all do that? :)

I go with the transport minister's advice and let my little lad ride his bike on the pavement.

I don't know what the answer is RootsBooster. I know I wouldn't have wanted my son to cycle on today's roads, but I still think cyclists plus pedestrians is not a good mix. I think TimmyR's suggestion of 3 mph, or, at least some speed restriction would be a good idea if it could be policed properly. Dedicated cycle ways separate from other vehicles or pedestrians would be the ideal. I used to cycle miles but my mountain bike is gathering dust because unfortunately I now think cycling has become to dangerous.

3? I walk faster than that, and I most definitely run faster than that. Why not allow cyclists to move as fast as someone running?

---------- Post added 27-02-2015 at 16:10 ----------

They also drive at 100mph on the motorway..can we all do that? :)

They aren't exempt from laws banning bikes from the pavement, they don't show blues and twos and are not responding to incidents.

So they can't arrest someone for cycling on the pavement without a) being hypocrites and b) needing to arrest each other.

Edited by Cyclone

Thanks for making me aware of something I obviously already knew. The whole point of this sub thread is to discuss whether that law is valid.

Whileever the law is on the books it is valid, what is there to discuss? If you feel that the law needs changing then create a campaign to change it.

---------- Post added 02-03-2015 at 10:50 ----------

I can see THAT standing up in court :)

I can't see you EVER ending up in court at all. Can you imagine how ridiculous it would be to take someone to court for cycling on the pavement! Particularly after 2 home secretaries have told the public that they should cycle on the pavement if they wish.

To bring a prosecution one of the tests the CPS apply is "is it in the public interest", clearly prosecuting cyclists for going on the pavement is not.

Are you condoning criminal activity.....again?

Very selectively, as usual.

---------- Post added 02-03-2015 at 12:56 ----------

Not quite right. He does more than just mount a camera. he specifically goes out to catch people committing crimes so he's a vigilante.

Just like those evil retailers putting up cameras to catch shoplifters!

---------- Post added 02-03-2015 at 12:58 ----------

I know that this is a daft question, but is he also filming the cyclists that jump red lights and ride on pavements?

Cyclists kill 1 or 2 people a year in the UK; drivers kill several thousand. The priorities for law enforcement should be obvious.

Cyclists kill 1 or 2 people a year in the UK; drivers kill several thousand. The priorities for law enforcement should be obvious.

So I take that as a no then? The priorites for law enforcement is to prosecute the guilty, irrespective of how many they kill.

---------- Post added 02-03-2015 at 13:17 ----------

I can't see you EVER ending up in court at all. Can you imagine how ridiculous it would be to take someone to court for cycling on the pavement! Particularly after 2 home secretaries have told the public that they should cycle on the pavement if they wish.

To bring a prosecution one of the tests the CPS apply is "is it in the public interest", clearly prosecuting cyclists for going on the pavement is not.

I would hope, that when the inevitable happens, and someone is seriously injured or even killed by a cyclist riding on the pavement, that the views of 2 home sectrataries would be ignored to ensure that the cyclist is prosecuted accordingly

Edited by alchemist