Vigilante Cyclist. Is he the most hated man?

Is he right to do this?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is he right to do this?

• YES; He is doing a good job, and should be commended.
    • NO; He is just being a pillock and probably jumps red lights when no-one is looking.
    • NONE OF THE ABOVE; He is just annoying and probably single.

Whileever the law is on the books it is valid, what is there to discuss? If you feel that the law needs changing then create a campaign to change it.

A bit like the 70mph speed limit on motorways? The only time I've seen the majority of drivers keep to the 70mph speed limit is when there is a police car close by.

I would hope, that when the inevitable happens, and someone is seriously injured or even killed by a cyclist riding on the pavement, that the views of 2 home sectrataries would be ignored to ensure that the cyclist is prosecuted accordingly

If the cyclist is following the (then) Transport Minister's advice, there shouldn't be any reason for someone being injured or killed...

"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

I suspect that the law against cycling on the pavement would be entirely inappropriate still and that more appropriate law would be applied.

The home secretaries should of course actually change the law, instead of just telling people to disregard it. And then we wouldn't have to have this discussion.

I find it odd that you'd prefer cyclists to be killed by staying on the road, rather than no-one to be killed (as is the reality) by using the pavement when they don't feel safe on the road though.

Is that really what you feel, are you just arguing as devils advocate?

Is blind obedience to the law always the best approach in your opinion? Or should we think about what the law says? To use a historical example, were gay men who had sex morally wrong before the law was changed, or were they right to practice civil disobedience against an immoral and unjust law?

A bit like the 70mph speed limit on motorways? The only time I've seen the majority of drivers keep to the 70mph speed limit is when there is a police car close by.

I've noticed that the speed cameras on the "managed motorway" section of the M62 near Brighouse has made a difference. Even when the NSL sign is showing, the speed camera signs seems to put people off doing more than 75.

I've noticed that the speed cameras on the "managed motorway" section of the M62 near Brighouse has made a difference. Even when the NSL sign is showing, the speed camera signs seems to put people off doing more than 75.

So they still break the 70mph speed limit, in the knowledge that if you do under 10% over the limit and you drive safely you're very unlikely to get pulled up for it.

I'd suggest that a similar attitude exists to cycling on pavements.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

I see chumps like you every day. For example, during a queue in traffic, instead of positioning your car in the middle of lane, you inch you car towards the curb, in an attempt to stop me passing.

So I pass you on the outside instead, big deal.

Why is someone suddenly a chump because they've been driving along at 30 or 40 miles an hour until they've had a stop at a set of traffic lights and would like to be able to build up to the speed limit again when the lights change?

I ensure that I get away from the lights quicker than cyclists so I don't have to trundle up the road behind them. If I leave a gap for them to come up beside me I don't know if they are going to stop there or keep going forward and position themselves in from of the car causing obstruction. Where possible I'll just take the outside lane so I don't have to deal with them at all.

Why is someone suddenly a chump because they've been driving along at 30 or 40 miles an hour until they've had a stop at a set of traffic lights and would like to be able to build up to the speed limit again when the lights change?

I ensure that I get away from the lights quicker than cyclists so I don't have to trundle up the road behind them. If I leave a gap for them to come up beside me I don't know if they are going to stop there or keep going forward and position themselves in from of the car causing obstruction. Where possible I'll just take the outside lane so I don't have to deal with them at all.

If you read the quote in the post it would give context to the chump comment.

However, as to my further comment; I mentioned it because it's a daft and silly thing to do.

The situation is usually: driver sees the cyclist in their mirror whist in a long line of traffic moving slowly. They then inch their way towards the curb in an effort to stop the cyclist passing them on the inside. So the cyclist passes them on the outside and makes their way through the slow moving traffic.

Why should he be hated ?

Good question..but not difficult if you hate cyclists.

Pretty good reason to detest the brick for brains who lashed out at him though.

"look at the damage he could do to himself by wearing one of those cams on his head".:rolleyes: Stupid argument for inconsiderate violent motorists.