Vigilante Cyclist. Is he the most hated man?

Is he right to do this?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is he right to do this?

• YES; He is doing a good job, and should be commended.
    • NO; He is just being a pillock and probably jumps red lights when no-one is looking.
    • NONE OF THE ABOVE; He is just annoying and probably single.

Why is someone suddenly a chump because they've been driving along at 30 or 40 miles an hour until they've had a stop at a set of traffic lights and would like to be able to build up to the speed limit again when the lights change?

I ensure that I get away from the lights quicker than cyclists so I don't have to trundle up the road behind them. If I leave a gap for them to come up beside me I don't know if they are going to stop there or keep going forward and position themselves in from of the car causing obstruction. Where possible I'll just take the outside lane so I don't have to deal with them at all.

They're a chump because they do something deliberately to make life more difficult for other people.

3? I walk faster than that, and I most definitely run faster than that. Why not allow cyclists to move as fast as someone running?

---------- Post added 27-02-2015 at 16:10 ----------

Why allow them to mix with pedestrians at all ?

Because much like pedestrians they are very vulnerable to being injured by motor traffic, and also like pedestrians they are highly unlikely to crash into other similar traffic and/or to cause much damage if they do.

Cyclists have more in common with pedestrians than with motor vehicles, in terms of speed, resilience and damage causing potential.

They're a chump because they do something deliberately to make life more difficult for other people.

I doubt that very much. It seems very likely that they do it for the reason I stated: so as not to have to trundle along behind a cyclist, when they would like to continue driving as a reasonable pace. Most people just want to get on with what they are doing without being inconvenienced.

If the cyclist is following the (then) Transport Minister's advice, there shouldn't be any reason for someone being injured or killed...

le cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so.[/i]

And of course that happens all the time doesnt it? :hihi:

I certainly have no issue with cyclists using the pavement, in fact I would hope to see children only using the pavement.

I'm surprised that people need reminding that cyclists/motorists don't have a monopoly of idiots. Idiots will be idiots, whether they drive, cycle or walk.

I find the behaviour of some cyclists annoying, just like I do some motorists. It's never the fact that some cyclists are on the pavement, but the manner in which they are cycling irrespective* of whether they are on the road or payment.

* Although the frequently observed behaviour of cycling on both the road and pavement, and frequently swapping at speed to avoid lights etc, is annoying and potentially dangerous.

I doubt that very much. It seems very likely that they do it for the reason I stated: so as not to have to trundle along behind a cyclist, when they would like to continue driving as a reasonable pace. Most people just want to get on with what they are doing without being inconvenienced.

In a long line of traffic during rush hour, when this usually happens, the cyclist is usually long gone by the time the car makes it's way to the lights, so it's pointless.

I think that this had got more to do with the car driver resenting the fact that the cyclist isn't stuck in traffic.

At the end of the day, you ARE making life more difficult for the cyclist, for your own convenience.

If you're in traffic then the cyclist won't hold you up for more than a few seconds anyway, that's if you ever manage to catch them anyway.

The fact that you'll inconvenience someone else to avoid it yourself says a lot I think.

---------- Post added 02-03-2015 at 15:39 ----------

And of course that happens all the time doesnt it? :hihi:

Almost always. Cyclists don't want to hit pedestrians, coming off the bike for whatever reason hurts. :huh:

* Although the frequently observed behaviour of cycling on both the road and pavement, and frequently swapping at speed to avoid lights etc, is annoying and potentially dangerous.

Agreed (message must be longer)