Vigilante Cyclist. Is he the most hated man?

Is he right to do this?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is he right to do this?

• YES; He is doing a good job, and should be commended.
    • NO; He is just being a pillock and probably jumps red lights when no-one is looking.
    • NONE OF THE ABOVE; He is just annoying and probably single.

No I don't agree. People have to pay to use their polluting motor vehicles on the road. No one has to pay to use the road explicitly - the roads are provided for use for all for free. I have car that I pay to use on the road. I also have a bike that I don't pay to use on the road.

The reason this is such a hotly debated topic is because people use the road tax argument as an excuse for antagonising cyclists. And that is why your pointless arguing is getting on my nerves - you don't even seem to agree with the views of shims who started the whole discussion in the first place.

Why should I agree with Shims..? Looks like you agree with me..you have to pay to use your car on the road..that's all I've been saying from the start..

Rider down outside my office today. 17 year old kid, police treating it initially as suspicion of hit and run , possible false plates or false information given by the driver.

Kid had put his teeth through his face, not pretty. Been out all day so waiting on an update

Every time there's a discussion about cycling on this forum, it usually starts as common sense, a decent debate. But sooner or later the petrol head chimpanzees join and it turns into a cyclist bashing fiasco.

Every time.

The guy was talking about a car..as you well know...nobody mentioned paying for the roads just using them... why is that so difficult for you to grasp..

So buy a prius, or one of the many other zero rated cars now available.

---------- Post added 06-03-2015 at 17:57 ----------

The guy was talking about a car..as you well know...nobody mentioned paying for the roads just using them... why is that so difficult for you to grasp..

He was actually saying that cycles shouldn't be on the road, partly supported by his suggestion that road users have to pay to use it (which is incorrect).

Motorists pay a hefty tax to use the road. Cyclists are unregistered, unimsured and pay nothing. In a perfect world cyclists wouldn't be sharing road space with motor vehicles; they would be in cycle lanes.

That's what he said.

---------- Post added 06-03-2015 at 17:58 ----------

AdamF was trying to be smart with his Bzzzt..I was only pointing out that to use the roads motorists have to pay VED... except for the instances I mentioned..

So, they don't then, because there ARE exceptions.

SOME motorists have to pay to use their vehicles on the roads, not all. Blanket statement, incorrect. Bzzzt. Next.

---------- Post added 06-03-2015 at 18:00 ----------

That page says it's a tax on cars..it isn't.. as I've shown above...it's a tax on using your car on the road..

And as you've been shown, it's a tax on polluting motor vehicles using the road.

Which doesn't include all cars, and doesn't include many other vehicles.

---------- Post added 06-03-2015 at 18:02 ----------

My first post on here was to AdamF..you stuck your oar in from then on.. saying that I was paying for the right to use the vehicle,not the road..:) Do you now agree that motorists have to pay to use the road..? :)

Clearly they don't. They have to pay for the right to use some specific vehicles on the road. Not all motor vehicles and not all vehicles.