Vigilante Cyclist. Is he the most hated man?

Is he right to do this?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is he right to do this?

• YES; He is doing a good job, and should be commended.
    • NO; He is just being a pillock and probably jumps red lights when no-one is looking.
    • NONE OF THE ABOVE; He is just annoying and probably single.

As someone who has lots of experience falling off bikes (as a teenager, trying stupid tricks) I can assure you that the most likely 'first impact' occurs to your arm in almost all cases. Because of the nature you sit on a bike and pure physics any fall will propel you sideways UNLESS you drive into an obstacle and go over the handlebars. Which is unlikely although I have managed that once and it did indeed cause a severe concussion.

Hope that helps!

Yeah i tend to agree when just falling off, however, when hit by a car things are different.

Personally i don't know how much good vigilante cyclists will ever do. cyclist in general are hated so this just makes it worse. perhaps if he could do his vigilante work on something other than a bike (a horse or unicycle maybe) with the overall theme of protecting cyclists, that would give a better message.

Yes, I've just read that too. I'm sure Cyclone will still insist its a wind up.

---------- Post added 25-02-2015 at 22:51 ----------

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/michael-schumacher/10640839/Michael-Schumacher-skiing-crash-did-helmet-camera-cause-head-injuries.html

---------- Post added 25-02-2015 at 22:52 ----------

Cycle helmets are pretty soft, and this chaps camera is huge. Have a look, then have a look at this link.:)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/michael-schumacher/10640839/Michael-Schumacher-skiing-crash-did-helmet-camera-cause-head-injuries.html

And then they actually did investigate if the camera could make it worse.

VeloNews tech editor Lennard Zinn asked helmet makers their opinion on the mounting of cameras.

Giro’s Eric Richter said: “We studied this issue thoroughly, including significant testing at our in-house DOME test lab with both Go-Pro and Contour units. Our mounts cause no significant additional loads for the neck nor brain rotation due to well designed breakaway features.”

Michael Grim of Specialized said: “We believe that a good GoPro mount should “break away” in an impact. We think this is the main thing. There is still risk that the camera could still cause injury, but not worse than rocks, eyewear, etc. There is always risk of injury in an accident, regardless. So, it’s always best to keep the rubber side down.

And no, it's highly unlikely. They are not so securely attached and are designed to break away under impact.

I know that this is a daft question, but is he also filming the cyclists that jump red lights and ride on pavements?

He quite rightly should do yes as otherwise it does seem like targeted finger pointing.

Although maybe he just stops people whom he considers to be endangering other road users and he hasn't seen anyone riding on a pavement or jumping a red light that would be much of a danger to anyone.

Let me see if I've got this right?

When my Garmin Virb is mounted on my car dashboard I'm just a law abiding motorist covering my back side in case some one makes a dodgy insurance claim against me.

When my Garmin Virb is on the handlebars of my bike I'm a vigilante taking the law into my own hands with an implication of a degree of violence.

Let me see if I've got this right?

When my Garmin Virb is mounted on my car dashboard I'm just a law abiding motorist covering my back side in case some one makes a dodgy insurance claim against me.

When my Garmin Virb is on the handlebars of my bike I'm a vigilante taking the law into my own hands with an implication of a degree of violence.

Not quite right. He does more than just mount a camera. he specifically goes out to catch people committing crimes so he's a vigilante. I've been cycling to work for years and I can only think of a handful of situations where I could really have benefited from camera footage as evidence. This guy has reported loads of people. i wonder how much he antagonises people leading them to behave aggressively. The large percentage of people in cars are courteous.

Edited by TimmyR