Help, my car has a 'Anti Pollution Fault'!!

First thing i'd try, although sounding a bit crude, is put some redex in the tank and give the car a good blast down the motorway. Very often when cars are only run "around town" they soon clog up, especially diesels. Giving them a good run often clears out any blockage.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. :)

just out of curiosity what is counted as "short journeys?" I am thinking in terms of mileage.

Mostly about 3 miles. Once a week I'll do a longer drive, out to the peaks and back...

Just to update:

Someone else was using the car when the message originally showed and it went in to limp mode. It's not been in limp mode for me, but I have seen the message (the 'anti pollution fault').

I've put some of that Cataclean from Halfords in, and drove around a bit. When I turned the engine off and on again, the message still showed, but it's been driving fine.

I then went out (3 miles) and left the car for 2 hours, got back in, turned engine on, and no sign of the message and the car is driving fine.

I guess the Cataclean seems to be working. Is it still worth taking it out on to the M1 for a speedy 20 minute drive?

Mostly about 3 miles. Once a week I'll do a longer drive, out to the peaks and back...

Just to update:

Someone else was using the car when the message originally showed and it went in to limp mode. It's not been in limp mode for me, but I have seen the message (the 'anti pollution fault').

I've put some of that Cataclean from Halfords in, and drove around a bit. When I turned the engine off and on again, the message still showed, but it's been driving fine.

I then went out (3 miles) and left the car for 2 hours, got back in, turned engine on, and no sign of the message and the car is driving fine.

I guess the Cataclean seems to be working. Is it still worth taking it out on to the M1 for a speedy 20 minute drive?

I would take it out for a run just to get rid of any crap that remains..

Just to update:

Well it does say on the bottle to drive it for 15-20 minutes :D

And did you put the full bottle in ?

Well it does say on the bottle to drive it for 15-20 minutes :D

And did you put the full bottle in ?

Yep, drove for at least 15-20 mins (10 miles) after putting in full bottle.

Just been up and down the M1 too, with some premium unleaded in. All seems okay now. Fingers crossed! :)

Its a very generic fault that can point to one of a dozen (or more things), from something simple like bad fuel, to a failing catalytic converter.

You really need a diagnostic check to pinpoint the fault if it returns and not listen to anecdotal advice. I see people have been blaming the DPF. I wouldn't expect to find a DPF on a 1.4 diesel engine that these cars generally have. And as you've mentioned putting premium unleaded in, that advice can be discounted.

My brother has the Lexia diagnostic equipment that Peugeot dealers use and does all my Sheffield diagnostics if I'm not over that way, so can do a diagnostic check, see what fault codes come up as well as read live data at various key components.

PM me for his details.

Edited by alchresearch