Bus Fare changes on firstbus

Guest busdriver1
You are having a laugh. I paid full tax and full everything else for 46 years to be allowed free travel and you think it's reasonable that this should now be denied me after it has already been more restricted by taking the right to travel free on trains taken away altogether. It is indeed unreasonable and I am quite miffed by your remark

Wrong!

Your taxes paid for the comparatively poor concessions your parents got. It is US that are paying for what you get now.

Strange how when folks are on the receiving end they want mare than they were prepared to give.

• 2 weeks later...

Supertram have announced fares changes on the same date, 28th March, which is the date the rail replacement works start. See: http://www.supertram.com/latestfromsupertram_8193.html

The Stagecoach Sheffield Bus & Tram Dayrider is to be reduced by 10p to £3.90 and will as a result be the same price as a First bus Sheffield day ticket.

A Tram Only Weekly Megarider is to be introduced too priced at £12.50, which matches the First weekly ticket price.

---------- Post added 18-03-2015 at 15:34 ----------

Something not mentioned in First's announcement is the First Day Peak District Explorer ticket.

Currently £5.50 including all their Sheffield buses plus route 272 to Castleton.

From 29th March the Spring/Summer timetables launch which include additional Peak District buses - routes 240/241 to Bakewell and 273 to Castleton via Rivelin and Ladybower as well as the 272 to Castleton via Hathersage.

I assume the day ticket will also include those.

---------- Post added 18-03-2015 at 15:40 ----------

First certainly don't invest in their fleet! There old buses are that bettered they are a disgrace!

There are some shiny new ones around such as this: http://www.soes.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pics/35101.jpg

Edited by Andy C

You are having a laugh. I paid full tax and full everything else for 46 years to be allowed free travel and you think it's reasonable that this should now be denied me after it has already been more restricted by taking the right to travel free on trains taken away altogether. It is indeed unreasonable and I am quite miffed by your remark

I've paid tax since I was eligible to and in the time since then I've only not worked for a month.

By the time I've reach 68 that'll be 50 years of taxpaying and there will be no free bus, no NHS or state pension.

Its not a right, its not owed to you. Its a perk, a concession, one that is rapidly becoming inviable to operate.

If it were up to me I'd bring back peak timezones and make OAP passes only valid during off-peak so that those coming home after a hard days graft can actually get a seat instead of 'Ethel' clogging a seat because she decided to wander round town for no reason.

If you want free travel then use what nature gave you.

The announcement from First states "Price freeze for most customers in Sheffield as First announces changes on selected fares" then goes on to say "Most fare-paying customers will continue to pay the same for their journey"

All adult single fares are going up, Sheffield daily, weekly, monthly and annual tickets are going up and the S York group ticket goes up.

Are First saying that the majority of fare paying passengers are either children or those with South Yorks daily, monthly or weekly tickets?

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if stagecoach are changing their fares this weekend aswell, ive only seen the first bus changes advertised but I cant imagine that stagecoach wont follow suit. They usually all change at the same time :confused:

Stagecoach just dropped some fares on the Tram/Replacement. There has been no notice that I've seen to say Stagecoach are putting other fares up.

If I recall last year Stagecoach fares changed late April and TM Travel changed in July.

Supertram fares were frozen last year but are normally reviewed at the same time as Stagecoach bus, the reduced Dayrider price and introduction of Tram Only weekly ticket was brought forward this year to coincide with the start of rail replacement works.

Stagecoach Sheffield Bus & Tram Dayrider £3.90

Supertram + tram replacement bus weekly Megarider £12.50

Supertram + tram replacement bus monthly Megarider £42

First Day Sheffield £3.90

First Week Sheffield £12.50

First Month Sheffield £42.00

You may notice similarities. I suspect it will be quite predictable what the other operators do.

Edited by Andy C

I did notice they haven't done any favours to us weekly/monthly tickets who have no choice but to use Bus and 'Tram/Replacement' to get to work. Yet we're suffering too with the replacement works.

Other than freezing the price for another year....