£6.72 better off working

The problem is with all of this clap trap is agencies being brought into control jobs. it is rare you see a proper 40 hour a week job advertised now. Why? Because agencies can get 6 people to sign up to same job and make 20% on each of their wages. No contractual rights for the employer, no holiday entitlements, no pension contributions, no N.I contributions.

You could go on and say prescriptions and dental care, oh and your 17 kids in makeupistan.

Is that how it works? I know the agency will pay the employee so much per hour, and charge the firm a higher rate. However, if the agency make 20% (I actually thought it was much higher), and there are 6 guys on the books for that one job, the agency presumably only get the kick back from whatever hours each guys works, which will be just a few hours each. (40hrs div by 6)?

That looks like an interesting webiste, thanks for sharing it :thumbsup:

No worries, it is part of my field of research so I stay on top of these developments and they are very interesting, in particular the phenomena called Massive Open Online Course (MOOC). There are many others out there as well, search for MOOC, if you want evidence that you completed the course; search for MOOC and certificate. Also have a look at http://www.mooc-list.com.

There are many tools available for people wanting to build their CV up that don't cost anything!

---------- Post added 28-02-2015 at 12:25 ----------

Is that how it works? I know the agency will pay the employee so much per hour, and charge the firm a higher rate. However, if the agency make 20% (I actually thought it was much higher), and there are 6 guys on the books for that one job, the agency presumably only get the kick back from whatever hours each guys works, which will be just a few hours each. (40hrs div by 6)?

It isn't how it works :) (Most) Agencies will charge a flat fee for filling the vacancy and charge a set hourly rate. They then pay whoever fills that vacancy a lower hourly rate, the rest going to 'overhead and profit'.

As they have a lot of people who show interest in these vacancies they can, and often do, choose to split a vacancy in smaller parts, it helps them build in redundancy - if one of the 'agents' is not available for whatever reason than they can switch to the next one.

Not ideal for the agents, although I've always found (unskilled) agency work (I did a lot of it between my 15th and 25th year) interesting because of the diversity and the chance to see what sort of things you like/don't like doing. It also trains your character, spending a 23.00-08.00 shift stacking 20kg bags of dog food on pallets at a rate of 4/minute certainly encourage you to finish your degree!

• 5 months later...
No worries, it is part of my field of research so I stay on top of these developments and they are very interesting, in particular the phenomena called Massive Open Online Course (MOOC). There are many others out there as well, search for MOOC, if you want evidence that you completed the course; search for MOOC and certificate. Also have a look at http://www.mooc-list.com.

There are many tools available for people wanting to build their CV up that don't cost anything!

---------- Post added 28-02-2015 at 12:25 ----------

It isn't how it works :) (Most) Agencies will charge a flat fee for filling the vacancy and charge a set hourly rate. They then pay whoever fills that vacancy a lower hourly rate, the rest going to 'overhead and profit'.

As they have a lot of people who show interest in these vacancies they can, and often do, choose to split a vacancy in smaller parts, it helps them build in redundancy - if one of the 'agents' is not available for whatever reason than they can switch to the next one.

Not ideal for the agents, although I've always found (unskilled) agency work (I did a lot of it between my 15th and 25th year) interesting because of the diversity and the chance to see what sort of things you like/don't like doing. It also trains your character, spending a 23.00-08.00 shift stacking 20kg bags of dog food on pallets at a rate of 4/minute certainly encourage you to finish your degree!

MOOCs are great. I suggest http://www.coursebuffet.com which I find more organized, like courses are side by side.

The biggest challenge is finding the time or at least keeping up with what you should do when there is no professor to give you bad marks.

If you value output and what you get paid, then look at the difference. It could be viewed as exploitation.

No, it couldn't. It could be viewed as a contract into which you entered, where someone else has speculated to start the business and now reaps the rewards.

The government are increasing the minimum wage to £7.20 from April and £9 by 2020. Couple that with the much needed revisions to the welfare state and the OP will soon find themselves much better in work than out of it, which is of course the government's intention. Try the calculator again in 12 months time.

---------- Post added 04-08-2015 at 21:31 ----------

Two options:

1) Don't work, plenty of people choose to live off benefits. It's always a choice.

It shouldn't be a choice. Benefits are supposed to be a safety net. The fact that "plenty of people choose" to abuse the generosity of their fellow citizens is precisely why the welfare bill has grown too big and needs cutting back. Credit to the OP for not taking this route and I sincerely hope he/she, and millions like them, will be duly rewarded by forthcoming increases to the minimum wage.

The government are increasing the minimum wage to £7.20 from April and £9 by 2020. Couple that with the much needed revisions to the welfare state and the OP will soon find themselves much better in work than out of it, which is of course the government's intention. Try the calculator again in 12 months time.

...except they won't if they're one of the 13 million working families who claim tax credits. Or under 25.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/87b00b52-264e-11e5-9c4e-a775d2b173ca.html#axzz3hse9LqhH

A headline increase in the minimum wage doesn't help if the government are cutting back on tax credits twice as fast. It's sleight of hand. They get a good headline and fool a few people but most people will still end up losing rather than gaining.

Of course, the phrase "much better in work than out of it" can have a whole load of different connotations. It's a meaningless phrase that could just as easily mean "we're making being unemployed such as dehumanising and degrading experience that people will accept absolutely anything to escape it" than it could "we're making work more rewarding"... and the evidence points to the former interpretation rather than the latter.

...except they won't if they're one of the 13 million working families who claim tax credits. Or under 25.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/87b00b52-264e-11e5-9c4e-a775d2b173ca.html#axzz3hse9LqhH

A headline increase in the minimum wage doesn't help if the government are cutting back on tax credits twice as fast. It's sleight of hand. They get a good headline and fool a few people but most people will still end up losing rather than gaining.

Of course, the phrase "much better in work than out of it" can have a whole load of different connotations. It's a meaningless phrase that could just as easily mean "we're making being unemployed such as dehumanising and degrading experience that people will accept absolutely anything to escape it" than it could "we're making work more rewarding"... and the evidence points to the former interpretation rather than the latter.

I've been through El Cid's numbers on another thread. Based on what he/she claims to be worse off by due to the tax credit changes, he/she would then break even after the first ratcheting up of the minimum wage and be better off there after. Tax credits should never have been introduced anyway, they simply subsidise low wages. It was a vote buying exercise by New Labour and had to end sooner or later.

I've been through El Cid's numbers on another thread. Based on what he/she claims to be worse off by due to the tax credit changes, he/she would then break even after the first ratcheting up of the minimum wage and be better off there after. Tax credits should never have been introduced anyway, they simply subsidise low wages. It was a vote buying exercise by New Labour and had to end sooner or later.

That may be true, but can employers afford the extra pay?

I tax now, but probably get more back in benefits; next year I will get less in benefits and pay more in tax.

Its a big gamble by the Government, all this extra cost for the employers will force up inflation, but maybe that is what they want.