Should Energy Drinks be Banned for Children?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31623771

I'd support this. Consumption of sugar generally is spiralling out of control, dental health among the young is in decline and these drinks are addictive.

Do your kids buy them? Does it bother you?

It should trouble us all. The food industry has found yet another way to sell sugar water to our children by misdirection, calling them 'energy drinks'. These caffeine rich stimulant products have negligible nutritional value, but are hyped as a positive choice. And the branding is undoubtedly eye-catching and slick.

Big business wants your money, via your kids, by any means possible. It is cynical and exploitative.

They wouldn't need to be banned if people simply refused to buy them, but - too late, the craze has already broken and the syrup water is now normalised. Just keep a watch for caffeine withdrawal, difficulty sleeping, etc., etc....

I remember when I was a child, there was only one flavour of Lucozade and it tasted a bit odd. Strangely it was it was only drunk when you were feeling poorly, and if you was visiting a friend or relative in hospital you'd take them a bottle of Lucozade.

Are we not being a little bit unfair on the drinks companies here. They are hardly corrupting children specifically.

Most energy drinks of any kind are not marketed at children at all. Gullible adults maybe but they are hardly covered in cartoon characters or advertised during kids tv.

I find the quote from the expert rather misleading...

"Children are being deceived into drinking large cans of this stuff, thinking they are going to improve their performance at school, during sports, or even on a night out.

I don't know any energy drinks that say any such words. Sports maybe but only in the sense that they contain glucose and sugar which, guess what, increases energy by its natural reaction. Nothing misleading there.

As for "night out". All these kids off clubbing are they??

The point is valid as is the campaign to clamp down on such heavily sweetened drinks. I have no problem with that.

However, I feel the inaccurate focus on Children is just misguided. All seems too much to me of ".....oh god wont somebody think of the children..."

EVERYONE needs to clamp down on their sugar intake Most people know that any canned drink or energy drink is likely to contain ridiculous levels of caffeine, chemicals and sugars. However, they taste nice and that's why people buy them. People know they are unhealthy but still consume them. Same can apply to fatty foods, sweets, chocolate, alcohol or cigs. Knee jerk reactions and finger pointing is not particularly effective.

Awareness and education is the key.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Are we not being a little bit unfair on the drinks companies here. They are hardly corrupting children specifically.

Most energy drinks of any kind are not marketed at children at all. Gullible adults maybe but they are hardly covered in cartoon characters or advertised during kids tv.

I find the quote from the expert rather misleading...

"Children are being deceived into drinking large cans of this stuff, thinking they are going to improve their performance at school, during sports, or even on a night out.

I don't know any energy drinks that say any such words. Sports maybe but only in the sense that they contain glucose and sugar which, guess what, increases energy by its natural reaction. Nothing misleading there.

As for "night out". All these kids off clubbing are they??

The point is valid as is the campaign to clamp down on such heavily sweetened drinks. I have no problem with that.

However, I feel the inaccurate focus on Children is just misguided. All seems too much to me of ".....oh god wont somebody think of the children..."

EVERYONE needs to clamp down on their sugar intake Most people know that any canned drink or energy drink is likely to contain ridiculous levels of caffeine, chemicals and sugars. However, they taste nice and that's why people buy them. People know they are unhealthy but still consume them. Same can apply to fatty foods, sweets, chocolate, alcohol or cigs. Knee jerk reactions and finger pointing is not particularly effective.

Awareness and education is the key.

They might not be marketed at young children, kids, but they're definitely marketed at older kids or teenagers.

They might not be marketed at young children, kids, but they're definitely marketed at older kids or teenagers.

Correct. You don't have to market at kids directly to not see that it has a direct affect.

Remember when you were a kid? How you looked up to your older peers..being cool? Trendy?..or in my days, Fab or Hip. :hihi:

I agree with ECCOnoob that this is an issue for people of all ages, but I remain concerned that the marketing of energy drinks has been cynical, promoting a 'cool' non-alcoholic beverage that young adults take up, leading to younger people being attracted by association. I am in awe of the slick branding and the managed image of this particular form of fizzy water, but the marketing success hides a very real danger. Caffeine and sugar are not good for us in quantity.

Take a look at the stores near our schools, from the local post office to the multinational, they are all stocking this stuff in huge quantities, and our kids are easily spotted downing an energy drink on their way to school in the morning. Clever, but beware, please.

I agree with ECCOnoob that this is an issue for people of all ages, but I remain concerned that the marketing of energy drinks has been cynical, promoting a 'cool' non-alcoholic beverage that young adults take up, leading to younger people being attracted by association. I am in awe of the slick branding and the managed image of this particular form of fizzy water, but the marketing success hides a very real danger. Caffeine and sugar are not good for us in quantity.

Take a look at the stores near our schools, from the local post office to the multinational, they are all stocking this stuff in huge quantities, and our kids are easily spotted downing an energy drink on their way to school in the morning. Clever, but beware, please.

Definitely.

When I was teaching, we had a real problem with kids bringing these drinks into school. Some of them would spend all their lunch money on them, on the way to school. The school banned them in the end and behaviour certainly seemed to improve (possibly because they were buying food instead).

My son used to consume silly quantities of 'energy drinks' when he was a university student and trying to get through his final year whilst doing lots of theatre directing as well, burning the candle at both ends, etc. He stopped when his dentist told him that if he didn't, he would qualify for free NHS dentures.:o:gag:

Edited by aliceBB

The issue isn't the energy drink, the issue is the obscene amount of sugar. Do I want it banned? No, do I want the use of sugar restricted? Yes.

How? Tell manufacturers that they are only allowed 1% sugar as an ingredient for each product. Problem solved.